Monday, July 25, 2005

Taking Democracy for granted

I find this story rather compelling, in this day and age when Americans are talking so much about the lack of freedom and true democracy in the U.S. Sure, I am one of those Americans who talk about it, I'm not a fan of the Patriot Act, I think individual freedoms are being sacrificed to the will of terrorism, and I'm not entirely sure Dubya earned his first term in office, and no doubt wouldn't have earned his second term had the Democrats had a stronger candidate.

But let's just think about this for a minute. 31 years ago democracy was restored in Greece. Greece, the cradle of civilization, the birthplace of democracy, of justice, you name it, in 1974 had to win back its freedom for democracy. Now I am the first to say that the Greek government has problems (don't they all), but 31 years is not so long ago. In 1974 I was a little girl enjoying all the freedom democracy had to offer in the U.S. It is almost hard for me to fathom that the country I am living in now, part of the E.U., a country where everyone always wants to visit, a country whose ancient history we studied in school had to fight for democracy a mere 31 years ago.

It certainly puts things in perspective, and makes the fight to preserve freedoms in America a little more crucial. After all, Americans never want to have to celebrate the day that democracy was restored.

No comments: