Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thank God It's Friday

It looks like downtown Thessaloniki is getting a TGI Fridays, somewhere on Aristotelous Square. There is already one I wasn't aware of at that ginormous mall out in the boonies, but this one is close to home. Yea, I know, I have all this fabulous Greek food available, why would I seek out kitschy U.S. fare?

Because it reminds me of home. It reminds me of late nights at Elliston Square and Exit-In, drunk with the sound of music ringing in my near deaf ears, grabbing a table at TGI Fridays at 1am and having an appetizer or two before heading back out to party til 5am. It reminds me of days when my hair could get a bit spikier, my outfits could get a bit flashier and my tolerance for partying had no limits. It reminds me of Alien in the Land of our Birth, F.U.C.T., Clockhammer, Wishcraft, Anastasia Screamed, Suicide Alley, Apache Underground and some of the other great bands that shone in the Nashville alternative scene in the late 80's/early 90's. It reminds me of my youth, of being carefree, careless, and uninhibited.

Sure, I'll never get any of that back, nor do I want to. Life is different now, and just as good, if not better, in a more responsible, grown-up way. But it will be nice to have a constant reminder of all those good times just a few blocks away on the other side of the world.

4 comments:

chez bez said...

Great post. Methinks you rocked harder than me.

I worked with the girlfriend of one of the Anastasia Screamed band members. Now I'll have to follow those links and pretend it's 1991 all over again.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, uh... I wasn't there...
But Exit In is still a pretty good place. GAC and I almost went to see The Robot Ate Me, and the Walkmen there on a couple of occasions.
Way better than the fare Knoxville gets

Anonymous said...

Yeah, all you are likely to get in
Knoxville is quaint Country/Western
and clearly understandable lyrics.
Boring dementia, wot? No over-amped
guitars in Squaresville to ruin your ears. Right?

(Momma always said that).

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. What I wouldn't do for a piece of home, a chance to relive my nostalgia and a Chili's margarita. I wonder if Chili's would like to open an outlet in Athens?