Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscar night blues

Tonight marks the famous Academy Awards ceremony, and I'm not sure if it is worth staying up til 6am to see the same people win the same awards they have won at the last three major awards ceremonies (Golden Globes, Actor's Guild, BAFTA). I don't know if there was always this much consistency amongst award ceremonies, and I just never never noticed, but it seems to me the Oscars, at least when I was little, used to have an air of uncertainty about it. Now it appears to be entirely predictable, with the exception of Best Picture, which seems to pick its winner depending on the country and style of the award ceremony.

Of course, I could be wrong, and tonight's show could totally blow my mind. But I doubt it. The only thing that makes it remotely interesting is the host, since Ellen Degeneres has been known to be funny in the past. Then again, I can watch the rerun here tomorrow at a reasonable hour if all I care about are the jokes.

At least I know my habitual insomnia will have some television company should I find myself awake and alert still at 3am.

No comments: