Sunday, May 15, 2005

Deviant Behavior

In the Milestones section of the May 16th issue of Time Magazine, it noted that gay rights activist Jack Nichols had died of leukemia. Prior to reading this tidbit of information, I did not know of Jack Nichols, and I was surprised to learn that apparently, prior to 1973, the American Psychiatric Association considered homosexuality to be a mental illness. Mr. Nichols had been integral in the campaign to get the APA to remove homosexuality from the lists of mental illnesses.

I was shocked that as recently as 1973, homosexuality was considered in such a way. Not shocked in the way that "oh my god, I can't believe such a thing ever happened", but simply that homosexuality garnered a classification of any kind. I mean, is heterosexuality on the books as "mental normalcy?" Anyway, I brought this up to my husband, who is specializing in psychiatry. His response was "yes, well, homosexuality isn't considered a mental illness, but it *is* still considered a deviancy".

To me, deviancy is golden showers or autoerotic asphyxiation, not homosexuality. Ok, sure, yes, man+woman = baby. Even so, same-sex partners fall in love just as intensely as their hetero counterparts. Someone might argue that homosexuals tend to have more frequent partners, more one night stands. Somehow I highly doubt that, if you take into account the heterosexual people I've known. I just find it hard to believe that love between consenting adults, regardless of gender, is deviant.

No comments: