Thursday, May 12, 2005

Procrastination?

Ah, go me. 8 months between posts. Not that I anticipate any type of audience, few people know about the blog. But still, I should keep the blog up just as a means of consistency in my life.

So, from the Autumnal Equinox past the Vernal Equinox. It has been an engaging winter. The U.S. re-elected Bush, the Ukraine got a new, forward looking leader, FYROM is still insisting that they are Makedonia, and the Turks still play chicken in the skies over Greek territory. I experienced my first real Greek snow (twice!), had a splendid Christmas at my in-laws, went to two big, fat, Greek weddings (brother-in-law and cousin-in-law), and picked paint colors for the house on Hortiati. I learned that my inner European is Dutch, became an avid Star Trek: The Next Generation fan, and started using Google as a verb (much to my husband's dismay).

I also discovered something quite fascinating about living on the side of a mountain. In the rainy but warming days of approaching spring, the clouds that normally enshroud the highest peaks of Olympus would slowly sneak their way down the mountain, eventually blanketing our whole village. It was quite a strange experience, within minutes, I could walk on the balcony and barely see 5 feet in front of me. Now, whether or not the clouds drifted the remaining 1000 feet down to the sea, I am not sure. No doubt the denizens of the coast found us obscured. The village always got so quiet when this happened, and a strange feeling of peace and security overcame me. It was if the gods themselves actually existed, and instead of cloaking just themselves, Hera threw out her blanket to protect this mountain hamlet as well. I remember being a child, and passing by mountains covered in clouds, and wondering what it was like to be hidden underneath. Now I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi i just read ur blog about Makedonia claiming to still be Makedonia... well Makedonia has always been Makedonia and always will be !!!! as a bit of research check out the history of the greek makedonia and how and when they aquired it !!! The Greeks tried to wipe out all the Macedonians from that region ( that was ours) but some still exist but will not speak about the events that occured because of the fact they might be killed or imprisoned !
they are still not allowed to speak their native tongue which is Macedonian since the greeks have taken over the region for the fear of the consequences!!
so before commenting on such an issue find out wat the story is first!!!