Monday, May 23, 2005

Strawberry Fields Forever

Ahhh, strawberry season is in full swing. It is quite a treat, actually, because while we lived on the island of Kos, we could not find one strawberry. We lived there an entire year, from July to July, so we definitely should have hit the season if they had one. I guess none were grown on the island and they didn't bother to import them at all.

There is nothing that reminds me of the summers of my youth more than strawberries - and strawberry shortcake. Despite the lack of Bisquick, I've been slaving away to make shortcakes every time we acquire fresh strawberries, which has been frequent of late. The most amazing thing about Greek strawberries? They cost 1.78 euros per kilo. That is 2.2 pounds of strawberry goodness for less than 2 euros. I remember the cost of strawberries at the Green Hills Kroger (in Nashville, TN) as being somewhere around $1.99 for one of those little quart tub things, which definitely wasn't 2.2 pounds worth. I think early and late in season they were even $2.99!

The more I think about it, the price I paid for groceries in America justifies 7 euro syrup.

No comments: