Saturday, June 11, 2005

Freaks and Geeks

Well, it seems a reunion movie for Sixteen Candles is in the works. Now, I am not sure what my feelings are on this. Sure, John Hughes' movies were a staple of my teenage years, but do I really want to be reminded of my impending middle age by seeing these actors in their middle aged selves, reminiscing about experiences that happened 20 years ago?

Perhaps I take the aging process too seriously. When I see stars today who were teenagers when I was a teenager, looking all old and parent-like, I freak out a little. Sure, I am not naive, I do realize I am getting older, but I don't feel like I am any older. I still feel as young and irresponsible as I did back then. I guess I just don't want to be reminded that I shouldn't still feel that way.

I think what would be interesting would be to see a remake of these movies with the Modern Teenager(tm). The Modern Teenager(tm) seems so different from teenagers of my day. Sure, we had the bullies and teen pregnancy and cliques and geeks and all that jazz - but it just all seems so much more intense these days. American Pie is a vastly different type of movie than Sixteen Candles or Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Pretty in Pink. But I guess, realistically, you couldn't remake these movies with the Modern Teenager(tm) because they wouldn't react the same in any of these circumstances. You couldn't even place them in these circumstances, probably.

Still, I'm not sure Sixteen Candles is the one I'd want to see now. I preferred The Breakfast Club.

No comments: