Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Time Out

All weekend I had that age old feeling where you think its a different day than it actually is. Well, maybe it isn't an age old feeling, somehow I can't see Socrates going around saying "I know its Thursday, but all day long I felt like it was Wednesday". Sunday felt like Saturday and today felt like Sunday.

I assume that my time illusions, this time at least, were caused by the fact that today was a holiday in Greece. Greeks are very good about holidays, they are fairly evenly spaced throughout the year, although I do feel like there is a big gap in the summer. Of course, Greeks typically take a two week vacation (or longer) at some point in the summer, so I guess that would cover it. Today was a religious holiday associated somehow with Easter - my husband said he thought it was the Ascension, at least to Orthodox religions. I always thought the Ascension occurred very soon after Christ was resurrected (at least in Biblical history) but I am not certain of it. I could be waaay off, if there is one thing I can't produce any knowledge about, its religion.

At any rate, it was a long weekend, and long weekends are always nice because my husband and I still cherish having time together. Sure, we are basically just lazy when he is off, but it is nice being lazy together. And there is the added bonus of him making my coffee in the morning, well, afternoon, when I wake up. We rented a couple of movies, bought spanakopita from Achilles (that is the name of my favorite spanakopita/bougatsa place), and went through the fourth season of Seinfeld which we recently purchased on DVD. So yes, we were couch potatoes.

The weather can't decide if it wants to be really hot yet - it has gotten to the upper 80s a couple of times, but the weekend was pleasant. Unfortunately it has been a bit humid, moreso at night than during the day. Of course, I can't really complain about humidity, I experienced plenty of it in Nashville, after all. It seems as if most of the snow has melted from Olympus, but it was hard to tell, the clouds were obscuring the topmost peak. And of course our little village is in FULL tourist mode. Buses and people with cameras everywhere. To their credit, it is a very scenic locale, quite picture worthy. I'd heartily recommend any foreign visitor make a stop in Litochoro even before booking time on a Greek island. You can hike the mountain or sun on the beach, or both. Good food, scenic views, and friendly people. What more could you ask for?

No comments: