Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Not Guilty!!

Well, the Michael Jackson trial verdict is in, and the jury has found him not guilty on all counts. The verdict got lots of nice coverage here thanks to satellite TV. There was live coverage on CNN International, BBC World, and Euronews (and of course E!). It was headline news on Deutsche Welle. It was missing from all the local Greek stations and, of course, Al Jazeera.

I have to say, as someone who watched the E! channel's reenactments and discussion of the trial these past couple of months, I think that is the fair verdict. Sure, maybe I didn't see all the testimony, maybe there were some things left out of the reenactments, but my view of the testimony presented left me with plenty of reasonable doubt. It seemed to me that the prosecution had a rather weak case, along with witnesses who weren't credible and charges that bordered on the ridiculous considering the nature of the case. The length of time the jurors were out, and the fact that they asked to see the accusers testimony again sure makes it seem they gave the charges quite a bit of thought, and this was what they came up with.

For the record, I am glad they found him innocent. Not that I find MJ's behavior entirely appropriate. Sure, I think he needs to curb the habit of sleeping with boys, maybe even the habit of befriending them. But I really don't think he is a predator (as the prosecution referred to him in their closing statement). I think he is someone with a lost childhood, who never emotionally grew up, and perhaps feels he has more in common with younger boys than anyone his age. I think he is simply trying to live the childhood he never really had. Who knows, I guess he could be fooling us all. I can't seem to take anyone at face value anymore.

On more important criminal court news, the "Mississippi Burning" trial has begun the jury selection process. This has been a long time coming, and hopefully the victims' families will get some vindication this time around. Some say 41 years is a long time. To me, it is remarkably short. Not even 50 years ago race relations in America were so volatile. I guess the problem still hasn't worked itself out completely, but at least it isn't as bad as it was then. Or at least I like to convince myself that it isn't.

No comments: