Thursday, March 15, 2007

The vegan cornbread acid test

I’m a southern girl, and in true southern girl fashion, I loves me some cornbread. One problem I’ve always had with cornbread recipes is they are either too salty or too sweet, and the search for vegan cornbread recipes has pretty much turned up the same results. So I took a recipe that had the general consistency I liked, and modified it slightly to my own taste. It turned out to be the perfect cornbread recipe for me (a blend of salty and sweet), but if you like sweet cornbread, you might want to try the original recipe.


Vegan Cornbread (not too salty, not too sweet)


1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 ¼ cup corn meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1 ½ cups soy milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil


Preheat oven to 400 F (around 200 C). Grease square pan, 8x8. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, blend milk and vegetable oil in another bowl and add to dry ingredients. Stir until moist, pour into pan and bake about 25 mins, until knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out dry.

Sadly, I think I like this vegan recipe better than the "regular" recipe I've been using all this time!

No comments: