Friday, April 06, 2007

Inventing vegan stromboli

veganstromboli

Even though I’m not much of a cook, one thing I am known for is my stromboli. Stromboli is a mainstay of our diet here in the Greek-American household. Normally, however, I load it up with a gut busting amount of mozzarella, veggies, and meats, but that doesn’t exactly work when you are fasting. Earlier in the fasting period I tried making it with shredded soy cheese and veggies, but because soy cheese is so salty and seems to be in the same family as candle wax, I couldn’t use enough of it to really fill the stromboli.

After I made the lasagna last week I had an epiphany. I could use a similar filling, with a few minor changes, add the veggies and voilá! Nice, fat vegan stromboli.


Vegan Stromboli


Crust (this is actually the “New” Betty Crocker Pizza Crust recipe I think – it has been in my head so long I can’t be certain):


1 package yeast
1 C. warm water
2 ½ C. flour
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
3 T. olive oil

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, and mix well. I usually knead it for a bit, but it isn’t required. Let rise for an hour or until double in size.

Filling:

6 oz frozen spinach, thawed and ground in food processor
350 grams silken tofu
¼ pound grated soy cheese
1 t. oregano
½ t. basil
pinch of salt

Mash the tofu, then mix in the rest of the ingredients.

Chop vegetables as desired. I usually use green pepper, onion, and copious amounts of garlic, but mushrooms, olives, zucchini, and other veggies are good too. If you like your veggies pre-cooked, you might want to sauté them a bit, but I like them crunch so I don’t.

Heat oven to 400 (200 Celsius). Punch dough, separate into to four to six balls (depending on how big your want your stromboli – you can also make it into one or two large strombolis if you like, to be cut up and served). Flatten each ball against your palm and then spread out on greased pizza or cookie sheet. Spread filling on one side, add veggies, then roll the other side over the filling (in a half moon shape) and press the dough together to close. Cook for about 15 minutes or until browned. Serve with warmed pasta sauce, top with grated soy cheese if desired.


veganstromboliclose

No comments: