Friday, October 20, 2006

Behold! The woman who controls the weather!

I am certain that I have some sort of power over the weather. Now that we have entered the northern Greek autumn, we pass awkwardly back and forth between clumps of rainy days and cloisters of sunny days. Every time that I think "oh, the weather is good, I think I'll do some laundry" (because here in Greece I am bereft of that all useful appliance - the clothes dryer) suddenly the forecast appears to have a spate of rainy days ahead.

This has been pretty much the way it has gone since I moved to Greece, so either Zeus is messing with me, or he has given me the weird ability to control the weather via my laundry habits.

4 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Hmm, maybe you could make money from this newfound talent. You know, like the rainmakers in days of old. I'm sure some folks in the Greek agriculture sector would be willing to pay for timely rain. Heck, you might even make enough to buy a dryer.

Anonymous said...

I solved the problem by buying a Hotpoint condenser style drier, which doesn't need venting, so is possible to use in upstairs bathroom with un unbreachable stone wall. It stacks on top of the front-loading washing machine. My husband kicked and screamed, claiming the Greek sun negated the need for a drier. I'm so happy I persisted and have the drier.
eleni

bryan-in-greece said...

I have a clothes dryer (we British call it "a tumble drier") and I have it on the balcony - works a treat out there and no need to vent it out the window or anything.... Wouldn't be without it in the winter - Kilkis has the driest climate in Greece, it is said, but it doesn't seem like that in winter :-(

melusina said...

St. Caffeine, you know how such things work: as soon as you try to profit from it, it doesn't work anymore.

Eleni, thanks for the tip. I didn't know they made such dryers.

Bryan - is it safe on the balcony, what with electrical cords, rain and all?

You all will be happy to know that my hubby has promised me a dryer when we move into our house. Which will be a couple of years, but still!