Thursday, October 12, 2006

I'm so peeved

Danea has tagged me for this top six pet peeves meme, and after careful thought, I have picked the six most annoying things (out of a cast of thousands).

1) Telling me to do something I am already in the process of doing or have plans to do. I know what needs to be done. I don’t need someone telling me.

2) Car alarms. I’m sure I’m more sensitive to them since I live in the city center, but geez people. I know you think you need the extra security, but when the darn thing is so friggin’ sensitive it goes off when my husband farts six floors up, it does you absolutely no good.

3) Smokers. Now, I’m the last person to say that someone can’t do what they want to do. If people want to smoke, that is their business, and I believe they should have the right to smoke. But I think smokers should be banished to their own homes and not be able to smoke anywhere, even outside, that is a public place. I could make a couple of exceptions for bars and nightclubs, but not restaurants. The problem with smoking is that you can’t keep it to yourself. When you smoke, it infiltrates the people (and the clothes of the people) around you. And let’s not even get into everything that has been discovered regarding secondhand smoke. So, if you want to take that addictive drag of tobacco, I don’t mind, as long as it isn’t anywhere near me. Unfortunately, that will never be a reality for me here in Greece, since a huge percentage of the population smokes, including the young ‘uns, so the smokers won’t be dying off anytime soon.

4) People who don’t have enough friggin’ sense to understand the simple logic involved in getting on elevators. I know it all seems like magic – you press a button and suddenly (ok, eventually) doors open to a fantastic world that somehow teleports you up or down without using leg power on the stairs. However, if there are people in that fantastic world, and they wish to exit said world (who can imagine why someone would actually leave such a place), then you need to get the hell out of the way and let them pass before shoving your scrawny ass into the elevator. It is really quite simple. I bet even Paris Hilton has figured that one out.

5) The gene that somehow renders men unable to hear, comprehend, and respond to the frequency of their wife’s voice. This is the same gene that makes them think, for some strange reason, that if they say “I love you” they are off the hook. Nope.

6) Going into the bathroom and finding only a square of toilet paper on the roll. Going to get ice and finding no ice. Finding empty boxes of baggies on top of the fridge as if they are still full. Reaching for a paper towel only to find the roll empty. Wanting a bottle of water from the fridge only to find them still packed. Sure, I could blame all these on my husband, but sometimes I am the guilty party, only to have it come back and bite me in the ass. However, hubby is the guilty one 95% of the time. Ok, maybe 75% of the time. But still…

I won’t tag anyone for this, but if you want to do it, do it. It feels good to get these things off your chest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing about being married to a rich greek doctor and having a rich Greek doctor family is that one can have plenty of time for leisure activity.

READ: You've got too much time on your hands Mel!!

:)

Pee Wee said...

Yo Mel,

Your #6 aded up to more than 6! All worthy though......

I agree with the car alarms, I love it when my motorbike sets them off, damn I just have to ride around the block again and again........

Dig your blog.