Friday, October 06, 2006

Heavy petting

Last night as I was flipping channels I came across a show on VH1 entitled "The Fabulous Lives of Celebrity Pets". Since I'm always attracked to the bizarre spending habits of the rich and famous I thought I'd give the show a look-see.

Most of it was as I figured - extravagant spending on things cats and dogs couldn't give a rat's ass about. $15,000 dog houses, $10,000 dog beds, perfume for dogs, bling for animals of all types, overpriced animal carriers and of course, clothing of all kinds. I don't have an issue with putting funny suits on animals for purposes of laughter and mocking, but dressing your dogs every day, especially with little booties, is just downright cruel. If it isn't bad enough that we are domesticating animals meant to be free in the wild, do we really need to dress them up? I love my cats, but even if I had a celebrity pocketbook I doubt I would buy such things. My cats are happy with a soft pillow and a feather on a stick. Why buy them a fancy bed they will never sleep on and jewelry they just want to get the hell off?

But the thing that really got to me in this show was something I hadn't yet heard of before - animal massages. Yes, we can now all take Fluffy and Spot for therapeutic massages for the low, low price of $250 an hour. The funny thing is, I thought we already did this for our pets. It is called petting them.

They always say a fool and his money are soon parted. Maybe that should be amended to say a celebrity and his money are soon parted. I just wish I had gotten on the animal massage train myself. I could so deal with $250 an hour to pet animals.

No comments: