Monday, April 17, 2006

Ah, to be a kid again

I'm really glad I decided to use the Greek language textbooks that Greek children use in school, because I get to learn all the important "kid stuff" that kids here learn. I've learned important things like donkey care and maintenance as well as how to call someone a sucker, so basically, I have the vocabulary of a seven-year-old, which can come in handy in some adult conversations.

There are a few more adult words I've learned, though, thanks to my husband. I managed to use one of those words at a family dinner last week, and word got back to my mother-in-law that I said it. She approached me quietly and asked where I learned that word, and stately very clearly, to the table, that she didn't teach me that word. Of course, it didn't help when I told her that her beloved firstborn son taught me that word, but she passed it off with good humor anyway. Besides, what kind of seven-year-old would I be if I didn't learn all those good words?

4 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

The 'good' words are a necessity. No one takes you seriously if you can't swear properly when you don't know how to swear. LOL

Tracie P. said...

so are ya gonna teach us?

Anonymous said...

Is Thanos still grounded? :-)

melusina said...

Exactly Seawitch. One of the first things I learned was how to call someone an idiot and asshole.

Tracie B., that would be immature of me!

Ellasdevil, haha. He didn't get grounded, his mom just wanted to be sure people knew SHE hadn't taught me that.