Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thessaloniki in springtime

I don't think I've ever experienced a better spring than this year, here in Thessaloniki. The weather has been fairly grand for a few weeks now, and I have forsaken the indoors for leisurely strolls around the city and overpriced coffee in charming cafes. I figure I better enjoy it now, because come July we'll be mired in heat and humidity as bad as any Nashville summer, and I'll be once again a slave to the indoors, constantly praying to the gods of air conditioning. For now, though, there is no electric hum except the white noise of the fan that lulls me to sleep at night.

Despite living in the city center we have still enjoyed the fresh smell of jasmine thanks to some horticulturally proficient neighbors. A songbird on a balcony across the street manages to sing it's song without being annoying or repetitive. The crazy pigeons are usually gone by dusk, when the sparrows come and do their twirling dance of flight all around us. I now understand why cats find birds so fascinating to watch.

Strawberries are at their peak and we can't get enough of them. Tomatoes are rich red and plump, and fruits and vegetables of all kinds are in great supply, and quite a bargain compared to what I used to pay at Kroger or Wild Oats.

We were caught outside yesterday in the rush of a sudden spring shower, and to our surprise, a full rainbow presented itself high in the sky above Aghia Sophia, right in the middle of the city. Spectacular. My mother-in-law, after expressing her awe at us having seen a rainbow in the city, quickly moved to the more important question "you did have an umbrella with you, didn't you?" What a mother!

I know the tradition is to travel to Greece (especially the islands) in summer, but I have to strongly suggest trying Greece in the spring instead. There is something to be said for the reunion of mother and daughter, and Greece celebrates Persephone's return in wondrous glory.

1 comment:

Miss Kim said...

Mel... that was such a pretty post :)