Friday, April 28, 2006

The China syndrome

Today I finally sated my appetite for Chinese food. We got a menu from a Chinese restaurant the other day, and we also had a word of mouth recommendation for some place called "The Noodle Bar" down by the sea. Since we didn't have a menu for the latter, we decided to take our first steps into the world of Chinese food in Greece with a place simply called "ΕΣΤΙΑΤΟΡΙΟ ΚΙΝΕΖΙΚΟ", otherwise known as "Chinese Restaurant". I guess when there aren't too many around, you are entitled to such a moniker. This place seems to be take-out only, as the menu only lists a number, not an address. Desperation makes us do dangerous things.

My husband isn't as familiar with Chinese food as I am, although he has had it before, so we just ordered a standard meal of spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken, vegetable lo-mein and wontons. It actually wasn't bad, although we were sadly lacking duck sauce, hot mustard, and fortune cookies, not to mention it didn't come in the U.S. standard Chinese food cartons. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst either, and since I am too lazy to attempt sweet and sour dishes myself, it will work for me. And we have yet another place to try, when we work up our courage again.

A bit ago, a mere 4 hours after our Chinese feast, my husband exclaimed, in a voice wrought with desperation, "wtf, I'm hungry again!" (ok, he probably didn't say wtf, but it makes it funnier that way, and if you don't know what wtf means, just forget it) He has now learned the curse of the Chinese food - the imminent hunger a couple of hours later. A strange and unexplainable phenomenon that will certainly benefit our favorite pizza joint a bit later.

6 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Had you warned him about the hunger factor after eating Chinese? And if it was even passable -that's still good isn't?

The SeaWitch said...

I don't eat chinese food so I can't share your desire for it but I do know that Uncle Ben's sweet & sour sauce in a bottle makes it pretty easy to imitate though. LOL I prefer Mexican, Arabic and Italian food myself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel!

I found this amazing asian market in Athens - and the only good description I could find was in greek - I will translate, but am also posting the original in case I'm off. They speak english, and I'm reasonably sure they'd send a package to Thessaloniki.

Salamat
Διεύθυνση: Κορινθίας 24, Αμπελόκηποι, Τηλ.: +30 210 7796766
Εξήντα τετραγωνικά μέτρα γεμάτα με περισσότερα από 1.200 διαφορετικά είδη διατροφής, από Φιλιππίνες, Κίνα, Ιαπωνία, Σιγκαπούρη, Μαλαισία, Ινδία, Βιετνάμ, Μεξικό και πολλές αφρικανικές χώρες. Ανάμεσα σε πολλά άλλα, θα βρείτε σάλτσες ψαριού σε μπουκάλι, σος στρειδιών, φύλλα μπανάνας, κρασί από δαμάσκηνα, γαλατόψαρα και πλεξούδες γιαπωνέζικων και κινέζικων ζυμαρικών (από ρύζι ή βρώμη).

Salamat
Address: Κορινθίας 24, Αμπελόκηποι, Tel.: +30 210 7796766
60 square meters full of over 1200 different types of food, from the Phillipines, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Vietnam, Mexico, and many african countries. Among other things, you will find fish sauces in bottles, oyster sauce, banana leaves, plum wine, milkfish (??) and braids of japanese and chinese "pasta" (from rice and wheat).

It is a brilliant store - Almost anything asian-food-related you are 99% sure to find there. (not to mention the 2-liter bottles of Kikkoman soy sauce!!!) If they won't ship it, I'll get you some stuff next time I go and take it to the KTEL for you to go pick up.

take care,
Katerina

Dixie said...

It not only makes you hungry a couple hours later but it also makes you thirsty as the devil.

And yes, the "WTF!" adds to the whole tale. :)

melusina said...

Yes, Traveller One, he knew about the hunger factor. He just didn't believe it. And yea, it is a good thing, now I can satiate any Chinese food cravings. And if the other place is good too, I'll be golden.

Seawitch, I've seen that sweet and sour sauce and wondered if it was any good. I was actually about to get desperate and try it, but now I don't have to.

Thanks Katerina, I'll have to check it out. We do have a place here that I haven't checked out yet that is supposed to have some things from various places, so I'll have to see what they have first. Since we have a decent restaurant now my main thing is sauces for dipping the spring rolls and cornmeal.

Dixie, surprisingly this Chinese food wasn't overly salty like I was used to. But then again, that is probably a good thing. I'm glad someone else appreciates the virtue of the WTF!

Anonymous said...

Hi melusina,

Strictly by accident, I couldn't help but notice your chinese restaurant predicament. There are at least 7 such restaurants in Thessaloniki (some of them are pretty good). Here it goes:

1. Yasashu, on a small side street, just off Plateia Navarinou, towards Tsimiski (downtown) - my favorite
2. Whatsitsname on Kalapothaki, a pedestrian street off plateia eleftherias close to the promenade and the harbor (downtown)
3. Whatsitsname on Plateia YMCA, on the side road by the small park, linking Tsimiski with Angelaki (downtown), cheap but average. Maybe on the down side.
4. Noodle bar (downtown, you've been there)
5. Beijing (quite good) right on Themistokli Sofouli, the seaside road towards Aretsou, in the Karabournaki area, near Kalamaria, close to Shark seaside bar/restaurant.
6 and 7. Two more whataretheirnames in the Panorama suburb, one in the small town itself, the other on the high traffic road linking Pylaia area and Panorama (I think this one is a branch of Yasashu, also recommended), close to Anatolia College.

There is also an assortment of indian/mexican/caribbean/arabian/tzech/german/italian restaurants - just in case...

Take care,

A friend.