Friday, April 28, 2006

Caroline laughs and it's raining all day

I was 16 years old when the movie Pretty in Pink was released, and like many other girls my age, I fell instantly in love with Andrew McCarthy. The puppy dog eyes, the kissable lips, the peach fuzz mustache - it all made me positively swoon.

Yet, hidden deep inside my psyche was a dark secret -I always wanted Andie to end up with Duckie at the end of the movie. If only I had had the perspicacity to fall for the Duckie type guys myself in high school, I might have been a whole lot better off.

7 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

I always, ALWAYS cheer for the underdog. Poor Duckie!

Cyn

Susan in Italy said...

In high school, I wanted Andrew McCarthy's face with Duckie's style.

St. Caffeine said...

Don't beat yourself up, Mel. The girl NEVER falls for Duckie -- especially in high school!

Dixie said...

Well. You know she probably ended up shunning them both by the time she went to college and moved in with her journalism professor.

melusina said...

Yay Cyn, I'm glad to see there is someone else out there who does!

Susan, there you go. I hated that preppie look, Duckie's style was more my type.

St. Caffeine, but all us girls would have been much better off if we had. But then Duckies of the world might have turned into jerks. So who knows.

Lol, Dixie. I'd say literature professor instead, though. Or more specialized, like French Poetry professor. Ha!

Kat Coble said...

To this day, Pretty In Pink is the one John Hughes movie I can't re-watch for that exact reason.

I so badly wanted her to end up with Duckie. He had such class!

I'm secretly very satisfied to see Andrew McCarthy playing villains now. He didn't deserve to get the girl.

Tracie P. said...

hey wait a minute--if you HAD fallen for the duckies, you might not have found your thanos. don't you forget that young lady.