Saturday, April 08, 2006

You have a bit of tzatziki on your chin

Today the extended family went out to a nice taverna in celebration of my sister-in-law's graduation from med school. The place had a nice atmosphere, very comfortable, obviously very popular. The food was great, the service was excellent. Yet it had the same fatal flaw that many other Greek tavernas have that makes me ask the question:

What the hell is up with the napkins?

In most tavernas here, for whatever reason, the napkins are those small, square, paper thin things, what we would call cocktail napkins in America. I'm sorry people, but Greek food is way too damn messy for these teeny, tiny pieces of paper that fall apart immediately upon first use. I feel like I am in an Asimov novel with some kind of futuristic napkins that disintegrate right after using them. This isn't enough napkin for a rabbit, let alone a grown adult human being. Sure, you think you may be cutting costs, but we end up going through a bushel of those damn things during any meal. Buy some decent napkins and we'll only have to use one.

This particular restaurant had free fancy matchbooks, CDs, and other various assorted curios. Scratch that crap and give me a good napkin! That isn't too much to ask, is it?

3 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Oh let's all remember to BYON- bring your own napkin!

Vol Abroad said...

what was on the CD?

melusina said...

Traveller one, I *always* bring hand wipes, at least! I learned that was very necessary, especially when using European bathrooms. =p

Vol abroad, I didn't pay much attention to the CD. Some kind of Greek taverna music I think.