Sunday, April 30, 2006

You want iced tea?

Today we fell into our usual habit of spending too much money at a coffeeshop while taking a stroll, and we were at a place that featured a fancy menu of various teas along with the usual coffee fare. Among the teas were a selection of iced teas, and I ordered one. The barrista had to come to our table and inquire discreetly, iced tea? Because usually they serve hot tea.

Iced tea may not be altogether common in Europe, but you must realize one thing - I am a Southern girl, and Southerners love their iced tea. Iced tea is as common in the South as hot tea, in fact, I daresay there is a Southerner or two out there who loves some iced tea but turns their nose up at the heated variety. Now the big tea companies, Nestea and Lipton, have tried their hand in the market here with bottled, overly sweetened, not very rich iced teas, and I guess some people drink them or they wouldn't keep selling them. But this tea is a far cry from the tea we like in the South. I can't even make my own proper iced tea because the tea I used to use isn't sold here. Sure, I could whore myself out to Lipton, but I don't wanna. This is a serious issue, for goodness' sake.

In the end they didn't have the tea I wanted (why have the fancy menu if you don't have the tea??) so I ended up with a mocha freddocinno. Such is life. I may have found decent Chinese food here, but if I want a good iced tea, I'll have to go back to the South. It's a long trip, but it's worth it.

6 comments:

Dixie said...

I don't care for coffee and am a big tea drinker but I can't find a brand of black tea sold in Germany that makes a good, full-bodied, non-cloudy iced tea.

I gave up and make iced green tea. I don't drink iced tea sweetened anyway and iced green tea is pretty refreshing.

Weird though that they gave you a problem for ordering iced tea.

The SeaWitch said...

When I lived 'down south'...Louisiana to be exact, everyone dranked iced tea as well but I can't stand the stuff. Fortunately, I had no problem whoring myself out to Lynchburg Lemonades and passed my Sundays poolside quite well (if not a little sunburned) thankyouverymuch. LOL

Anonymous said...

I remember having problems getting iced coffee in the States. One place offered to put an ice cube in a regular cup of coffee...

One was not amused!

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :


SO IS THE LEMONADE,,

.........PINK AND ALL,

WHATEVER...........


== Z ==

Vol Abroad said...

I was so excited when I discovered the sushi place near my work sells iced tea - unsweetened (can't stand that sick, sweet fruity tea sold in Europe). Yes, I have to pay over the odds, but on the rare warm day - nothing beats iced tea.

I do make my own at home from tea bags I brought from Tennessee.

Miss Kim said...

I remember when I was a girl and we drove to Florida from Canada and everywhere we went my Mom had to specify HOT Tea.