Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Beggers can't be choosers

First a confession - yes, I've gotten sucked in to Lisa Loeb's reality show on E! I knew I would the first time I saw a commercial for it. She's 37 and desperately single. What's not to like? Besides, I get such low dosages of reality TV here in Greece I need something, at least til Survivor - Greece/Turkey takes off. (Ok, I'm kidding about that last thing, for one thing I can't understand enough Greek to watch, let alone understand enough mumbly lazily spoken Greek to watch, and for another I hate the survivor shows)

So anyway, here she is, really to settle down and have a baby. At 37, the clock is ticking, girlfriend (believe me, I know this all too well). So she goes out on two dates with this really, really kyoot, employed, nice, funny 30-year-old guy. But she decides that the age difference is too weird, that she is really too old for a 30-year-old. What?!? Are you friggin' kidding me here, Lisa Loeb? The difference between 30 and 37, at least as far as these two singles go, is about the same as the difference between Nutella and Merenda. A slight difference in taste and texture, but basically both sweet, creamy hazelnut bliss. This is also a subject I know too well. I'm 36 and my husband is 30. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be that different a person when I roll over on 37.

I guess the thing is, had she gone for this guy the show would be over. Still, he was a keeper, in my book. Ms. Loeb ain't going to be hearing any wedding bells or giving birth to any babies if she gets this critical.

2 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

I caught this show once and LOVED it!!! The sad part, with our crazy life right now (father-in-law in the hospital) I keep missing it! I notice the E station always repeats the shows after they aired it once. If I have to see Rich Kids Cattle Drive one more time I will barf! This is like the 3rd time they have aired the whole season.

I do hope Number One Single will be on again. It my newest guily pleasure!
Cyn
My husband and I have a ton of years between (he is much older), but it makes NO DIFFERENCE. Well maybe it would it I were 15 right now. The point is, it is the soul that counts. I am very OLD on the inside while he is VERY YOUNG.

melusina said...

Sheesh, my husband the grumpus. Ok, he doesn't like such shows and he doesn't have to watch them with me. I like them because it's good old fashioned fluff.

Besides, I highly doubt "30-year-old male" is among the target demographic for the show. ;)