Tuesday, May 09, 2006

If you'd just lay down your tracks

This past weekend the folks at VH1 took it upon themselves to show us the Top 100 Greatest Videos Ever (exclamation point). I am spelling out the exclamation point instead of using an exclamation point because I want to make it clear that was VH1’s exclamation point, not my own. I try to refrain from excess usage of exclamation points, especially in conjunction with phrases like “greatest videos ever”.

My husband and I happened to watch, off and on, the top 50, and I guess if I was even more of a freak than I already am I would have listed them all and gone over them one by one for you. Luckily for you, I’m not that crazy yet. I only made a note of the top 5 so I could bitch about them in proper blogger fashion.

  1. Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel.

Now, I don’t know what world these people came from, but in my world Sledgehammer was the reigning champ of videos for a good fifteen years. If you watch it today it still has the appeal of a modern video, none of the artistry seems outdated. I couldn’t imagine how Sledgehammer had slipped to number five until I saw what number four was.

  1. November Rain, Guns N’ Roses

This explains everything. See, this is what happens when people my age (36) get replaced by people my husband’s age (30). Generally speaking there isn’t that much difference between 36 and 30, but when it comes to popular music, there is a world of difference between what I grew up listening to and what he grew up listening to. As far as I know, this video never even cracked the top ten before. Whatevah. Look, I’m not dissin’ GNR, I used to like some of their music. But November Rain, really?

  1. Take on Me, A-Ha

OK. I can accept this video being in the top five. Even my mother liked this video. But it isn’t of a quality that trumps Sledgehammer. Sorry.

  1. Sabotage, Beastie Boys

I have no complaints with this Beastie Boys video being number two. It is quite clever. But I still think Sledgehammer should be number one.

  1. Thriller, Michael Jackon

No doubt this is a groundbreaking video. It had a famous director, a script, Vincent Price, and a budget that makes other videos cream in their pants. I don’t have an issue with it being in the top five, even though I think it is a bit unfair, considering some of the above. But for years it was always number two to Sledgehammer’s number one. What the hell happened?

I know what y’all are thinking. I can’t let go of the past. But I do honestly and truly believe that Sledgehammer still stands the test of time as the best video ever made. Of course, if I was 30 instead of 36 I might not agree. Ah well.

7 comments:

Dixie said...

Honestly, I'm still trying to get over November Rain being in the first twenty, let alone the first five. What's so innovative or memorable about that video?

Stephanie Seymour's hooters, I reckon.

Tracie P. said...

whats! wrong!! with a little excalmation!!!!!!!!?

didn't aha spell it "a-ha!" ?

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

that last one was hilarious.


Sledgehammer no 1 any time.

=z=

Anonymous said...

I still remember when Queen's "Bohemian Rapsody" was the best video ever...

navigator

The SeaWitch said...

Sledgehammer was definitely better than the rest of them on the Top 5. If memory serves me correct, it received so much airplay that Peter Gabriel requested MTV to stop playing it altogether. I don't know of any other video that was played in heavy rotation as long as Sledgehammer.
Many videos like "I Want Your Sex" or "Like a Prayer" received a lot of airpla for limited time because of the negative publicity they garnered but none for the extended amount of time Sledgehammer got. And like you say, it's as good today as it was back then.

Tracie P. said...

btw--i DO, in fact, know how to spell exclamation. bad typist.

Jay said...

Oh come on, the video for Sledgehammer looks so dated these days. And whilst the video may have been groundbreaking for it's time, the song sucked. For that reason alone it should be banished from any top greatest whatever list.