Thursday, May 11, 2006

Oh, you mean no

I've decided that my first act as leader of the world will be to assign a global standard for the words yes and no, and more importantly, to make the body language representation of these responses clear and used by all people all over the world.

I really couldn't care less what language we take our yes and no from, English, Greek, Chinese, Arabic - whatever, it doesn't matter. I realize that in theory it is easy enough to visit a foreign country and immediately learn yes and no in the native tongue, but figuring out the body language is a whole new ballgame. Half the time people say no with their body language here I think they are saying yes, that is until they wonder why I am looking at them intently despite the fact that they've answered my question in the negatory and they finally decide to speak their answer. I actually would think the total muscle involvement of saying "οχι" is much less than the elaborate head/shoulder maneuvering they do for their physical answer, but apparently there are some Greeks who just can't take it upon themselves to speak. Surprising, really. Yet the body language answer for yes is really not that different, with the shrug and half nod.

Better yet, if you don't want to speak just make up two flash cards with "ναι" and "οχι" on them and hold them up instead of the half assed body language that actually makes some Greeks look more like they are squeezing out a fart than answering a question.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

hilarrrioyssssss............

bravooooooooooooo.....

=z=

Emily said...

Oh man. I know exactly what you mean. I still don't know when someone is saying 'no' or 'yes'. It's enough to drive you crazy.

Tracie P. said...

LOL:) one needs a gestures dictionary just to get through a conversation with an italian.

and to think that they don't see the difference between "uh-huh" and uh-uh...

teacher dude said...

When I first came to Greece I thought that "oxi" was ok and "nai" was nay, causing no end of problems.