Friday, May 26, 2006

My husband, the superhero

The other night I walked into the bedroom, and my husband was lying in bed watching T.V. At the very instant I entered the room, he let loose a magnanimous fart that surely erupted from the very depths of Tartarus. Concurrent with this monstrous feat of flatulence, the T.V. turned off, as if on its own. For a moment, logic betrayed me, obviously stunted by the kamikaze attack and olfactory meltdown of the ginormous fart, and I turned to my husband and said, with great surprise,

“Did the force of your fart just turn off the T.V.???”

My husband stared at me as if I had just given birth to a flock of dancing sheep. Annoyed, I asked again,

“Seriously, did you just turn off the T.V. with a fart?”

My husband gave me another look, a look that says surely-you-are-kidding-because-otherwise-you-need-some-serious-psychological-help, also known as the “what kind of crack have you been smoking?” look. He said, calmly,

“You turned off the light switch when you came into the room”.

I looked at him dubiously, because our light switches don’t control power outlets. He repeated,

“When you turned off the light switch it must have caught a circuit or something in the T.V. and made it turn off”.

As the cloud of noxious gas dispersed I began to regain my senses, and I realized I had indeed turned off the light switch right before the T.V. turned off. The fact that the fart occurred at the same time was simply coincidence. Deflated, I looked at my husband and said,

“And here I was hoping we had just discovered your hidden superpower”.

I’m still not sure what bothers me more: that I actually thought a fart could turn off the television or that I’m not actually married to a superhero that uses his flatulence to do good in the world.

4 comments:

Dixie said...

Darn! I was hoping the mighty buttocks blast could solve the middle east and African conflicts!

Powerful Pooting Promotes Peace!

Frog with a Blog said...

oh my god, this is the funniest post I've read today, hilarious. Your husband is really a super hero!

The SeaWitch said...

ahahahahah Mel! If it's any consolation to Thanos...my son still thinks he's a superhero. I never even got to the part where you turned on the light switch and that the TV turning off and the farting was entirely coincidental. He was laughing too hard so I figured I'd leave him to his illusions and let him believe that he too, someday might harness the powers of the expulsion of bodily gasses. LOL

christina said...

Ha ha! That's a good one. Reminded me of those ads on tv for "The Clapper" where you could turn your lights/tv on and off simply by clapping your hands. Farting might have worked too.