Monday, May 15, 2006

Denial: tastes great, and less filling!

I realize that the governments of most countries in the world are old hat at the art of denial. I also realize that for some people, denial is the only way you can survive without wanting to plunge your head into a fresh, steaming cow pie. But what kind of jackass do you have to be to put your need for denial above the need of an entire nation to memorialize their dead?

Turkey has their panties in a wad yet again over the memorial to the Pontic Greeks that was recently erected here in Thessaloniki. The Pontic Greeks were from a region in Turkey near the Black Sea, and their people were systematically slaughtered by the Turks during World War I. Hundreds of thousands of people were killed in these slaughters, which should rightfully be called a genocide but the Turks don’t seem to have a word for genocide in their lexicon (Armenia, anyone?). I perfectly understand that it is better for the Turkish government to ignore events like this and pretend they never happened. I can think of several moments in my life that I wish had never happened, mostly involving copious amounts of Long Island Iced Tea and projectile vomiting. But denial isn’t really healthy for the psyche, so I’ve learned how to live with my shame and get beyond it.

The response of the Turkish Prime Minister to the memorial was something along the lines of how the issue is a very sensitive one in Turkey. Golly gee whiz! No one would want to do harm to Turkish sensibilities! But did ya ever consider it might be a bit of a sensitive subject in Greece too? The Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul (also known as George Clooney’s brother), went so far as to say that the erection of the monument “cast a shadow over friendly relations between the two countries.” Say what? Again, I have to say what kind of asshole objects to a memorial for hundreds of thousands of dead?

I live here in Thessaloniki, and I can’t say that there was much fanfare surrounding the erection of this monument. In fact, my husband and I were having coffee at a place near it a few days ago and I asked him if he knew what the statue was for. He didn’t. It is a very tasteful statue, full of emotion and feeling – a woman grieving. For all we guessed it was a symbolic representation of the city, the country, who knew? Of course, we could have gone over and looked at what it was for, but it didn’t really matter. At any rate, it isn’t like they have big neon signs and a giant searchlight over this memorial and a big booming voice on a loudspeaker saying “this is a memorial for hundreds of thousands of Greeks who were killed by Turks – yes I said Turks! It was genocide by Turks!”. In fact, most people in Thessaloniki probably wouldn’t have known what the statue was for until the Turkish Prime Minister brought it up. Way to draw attention to something you want to forget about, Mr. Erdogan.

In the end, the issue isn’t really about who killed these people. They could have died to the Turks, an angry flock of zombie bunnies, or Martians, it wouldn’t really matter. The Greeks wanted to memorialize them (and rightly so) and they did. To object to a memorial, on any grounds, might have to be the lowest of the low. After all, the truth hurts all of us, not just the Turks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

for a tennessegreek girl

thats a great way of writing

an article ,, of especial

diplomatic value, dealing

in basic truths without

the political malarchy..

MY hats off to you girl.

ITS HUMAN ..BRAVO

== Z ==

Anonymous said...

Dear Melusina,

I liked most of your posts on this webpage, but I must say this one offended me :( You had called the prime minister of Turkey "jack..s" and the Turkish foreign minister "a..hole". Don't think that I got offended because I love them. I got offended because they represent my country, and it wasn't right that you addressed the prime minister and the foreign minister this way. While you were trying to make a point about the Pontic Greeks' right to memorialize their dead by erecting a monument, are you aware that you might have hurt the Turks by having called their prime minister and their foreign minister "a..hole" and "jack..s" ?

Of course you are free to criticise anybody, but your criticisms shouldn't involve words that may offend others. You see only one side of the topic from Greece; but I can see both sides because I'm Turkish and my husband is Greek. I can understand both sides. If you could see what I see, you wouldn't have written so sharply because this topic is more complicated than it seems. Of course it's normal that you can't understand how delicate these topics are because you are neither Greek nor Turkish, but at least next time you write sth. related with Turkish-Greek politics, please choose your words carefully in order not to offend any side.

Finally, my humble advice to you is that you should criticise your country's political mistakes first before you call other politicians "jacka.." and "a..hole". I don't mean to offend you, but I think you got my point.

melusina said...

Anonymous, read the whole blog before you criticize.

I call most world leaders assholes and jackasses, including Mr. Bush. Actually, I've called him much worse. The reality is, many politicians *are* jackasses and assholes.

However, my post was generalized. Really, what kind of jackass *do* you have to be? Sorry, but it is true. I don't hold back for anyone, and I don't particularly care about offending people, because I think people are way too sensitive these days.

Anonymous said...

Dear Melusina,

Of course people get way too sensitive when you write comments about their "national" topics. This is very normal. I see that you don't care whether you offend people or not. That's your choice.

However, when I criticise people, I try not to use insulting words because I "care" about not offending people. I don't have a blog where I write my ideas; but if I had, I would try to be more careful when I wrote about delicate topics. No matter how much politicians may and "do" suck, in my opinion, it's still not nice to keep calling them "a..holes".

You may get angry to me now, but don't get angry because since we live in the same city, we may run into each other one day :) When I read your blog, I didn't know it; but I've realised that we are the members of the same forum.

melusina said...

Well, of course I am not angry with you. You are entitled to be offended. I guess my attitude is a bit different in this front, I come from a country that uses words such as asshole and jackass on a daily basis (even our President uses these words) and to me, as words they mean little, just adjectives. I could have called them "mean-spirited" or something else nicer I suppose, but I have a trashy mouth. ;) And really, *is* that adjective nicer? I don't know. I guess if you knew me in person or had read my blog from the beginning you might have seen this is how I am.

It isn't that I go out of my way to hurt people's feelings or offend them. I call a spade a spade, and make no apologies. You might call me an equal opportunity offender, because I am sure at some point in my life I have offended almost everyone - including myself.

For me, the things that I find offensive are different than just words, or insults. Things that offend me: rape, torture, violence, war, murder, starvation, manipulation, propaganda. You get my point. I try not to get offended by the little stuff, *especially* as an American living overseas these days. I've heard it all, and at it first it rubbed me a bit raw, but now I just let it roll right off me.

I hope we do get the chance to meet one day. I don't really have many English speaking friends here, and it seems like there is a lot we could learn from each other. :)