Saturday, June 17, 2006

Defining classic

As my husband and I were flipping channels this afternoon, we discovered that VH1 was counting down the top 100 Classic Rock videos. Now, I don't know what anyone else thinks of when they think of Classic Rock, but in my mind I think of Pink Floyd, the Who, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, etc., etc.

Imagine our surprise when the first video we see is Alice in Chains. Now, I like Alice in Chains, but I never would have considered them to be "classic rock". At least not yet, and even so, I think the genre of "classic rock" is pretty much stuck on those bands from the 70's - if we are talking about another time period we need new terminology.

Of course, I could be objecting because I can't stand the thought that music I listened to while I was in college is now considered classic rock. But I don't think so.

1 comment:

St. Caffeine said...

Face it, Mel, getting old is a bitch. I don't even want to think about what I was doing the year my current crop of students was born!