Friday, June 09, 2006

My husband is making me sick

A week and a half ago, my husband and I arranged to have a date. Sure, a date when you're married is kinda silly, but everything we do, even plans with friends and colleagues, seems to be last minute so we thought we'd arrange a day and time and go out for dinner.

The day of our date, my husband arrived home from work cheerfully. He had a small snack then hunkered down for his usual siesta. When he woke up a couple of hours later, though, he wasn't feeling so well. I thought he was using stomach upset as a cop out on our date, but a couple of days later he was really suffering. Sore throat, coughing, runny nose, stomach issues - the whole shebang. This is what we get for scheduling a date.

A week later, my husband is almost cured, aside from a few sniffles. Today, however, I woke up with the itchiest, scratchiest throat of my life. Since my husband is working in the ER all night, I have to face my sickness alone, all the while cursing him under my breath.

I guess this is why "in sickness and in health" is in the wedding vows. Sure shootin' if one of us gets sick, the other will follow. There is no avoiding it. Still, if he didn't work in a hospital it might not be so common.

I know one thing, I'm never scheduling a date with my husband again!

No comments: