Monday, June 26, 2006

Slow news day

You know, I'm really happy for Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban. They appear to make a nice, seemingly genuine couple. I can't say much for Urban's music, as I rarely listen to any country, but I've always enjoyed Kidman's movies.

Still, is their marriage really fodder for front page news in the Tennessean? Nothing else going on in Nashville today? I know it is a boon for Nashville to have a big, glamorous star like Nicole Kidman to put down roots there and even like living there. I'm glad she likes Nashville. I'm glad she thinks people are friendly there. I happen to agree with her. But lets not go and show Nashville's amateur side by making any story involving her front page news, wedding or not. We don't want Nashville to become the scary friend who tries too hard and frightens people away because really, Nashville just wants to be liked and if it involves tattooing pigs with slogans saying "Nicole Kidman, Nashville loves you!" and unleashing them in the Green Hills area then so be it.

Nope, we don't want to be that city.

No comments: