Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I think I'm cursed

Every team I decide I like (I do this on a game by game basis these days) seems to be losing their World Cup matches. I was rooting for Mexico, Holland, Australia, Switzerland, and Ghana and they all lost. It used to be, with baseball, that whenever I watched the Orioles play, they lost. I must have the same vibe going with soccer.

From now on, I'm not picking a favorite team. I'm not even going to think about a favorite team. I'll just enjoy the games and not have heavy heart beating moments like in the penalty shot shoot out during the Ukraine/Switzerland match. Sure, it isn't as fun. But in the very unlikely event that I am jinxing World Cup chances for some much deserving teams, I'll stay out of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't jinx things. I usually root for teams based on jersey colors or head shapes, but I'm a bad fan.

Anonymous said...

I think you should root for Portugal.

Dixie said...

Give ya a nickel and a PopTart if you root for Argentina. ;)

Anonymous said...

ZARDOZ SAYS:

I THINK because yore sensitive
you have an "UNDERDOG SYNDROME"

Dont worry ,,it washes away ,,after
swimming in the AEGEAN.

=Z=

Vol Abroad said...

I agree with Nicole, I think Portugal's looking pretty good for Saturday. Why don't you root for them?

Emily said...

Yeah, I know! I think that's the danger of picking a team in such a short tournament. (well, shorter than a season, anyway.) I was rooting for Ukraine, and now they're gone, and I'm awfully sad. England, Italy, Brazil...they just aren't very interesting.