Thursday, June 08, 2006

What your mother-in-law doesn't tell you

Because of my husband’s vitriolic hatred of cat hair, our large apartment is divided in two parts: one part of the apartment is our normal living area - bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom - and the other part of the apartment is a large living/dining area. My husband keeps all his clothes and does his changing in the cat free zone of the apartment, and thus, his clothes are all over the place in there.

When my mother-in-law arrived for my Greek lesson today, my husband answered the door and they talked for a few minutes. When I came into the room, I mentioned with some exasperation to my mother-in-law that a tornado of my husband’s clothes was taking over the room. She said that is what they had just been talking about, and that my husband told her he was going to put all the winter clothes in the closet. I responded, laughing, that he said he would do that a month ago.

My mother-in-law shook her head sadly, and spoke with some regret, “I know”. She paused a moment, then said “I am married to his father”, with a long and resounding sigh.

Geez lady. A warning before I married your son would have been nice.

1 comment:

Cynthia Rae said...

My parent DID try to warn my husband before our wedding, but he didn't believe that I could be such a messy girl. They also told him "no give backs", which he didn't understand (because of the lanugage thing) but it made me laugh!

At least you have a cat free zone. We have cat hair on EVERYTHING!
Cyn