Sunday, July 02, 2006

Let them eat cheesecake

Thanks to a wonderful friend who sent a care package a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to make my first cheesecake in a few years - cheesecake with real graham cracker crust. Unfortunately, I have yet to find graham crackers in any store around here, so I had been debating what sorts of cookies to use for crust so I could satiate my cheesecake desire when the package came to my rescue.

Now, they do have something called cheesecake here in Greece, though it tastes nothing like the cheesecake I know and love. Not that it is bad - it is just sort of a fluffy, creamy filling with some sort of biscuit crust - and it doesn't taste cheesy at all. Everyone in my husband's family loved this sort of cheesecake - until they tried mine.

I had enough graham crackers to make three cheesecakes, and due to demand for them I've made them all in quick succession. Now, I love cheesecake, but I do get tired of it. But the Greeks around me, especially my husband, seem to have become quite the little cheesecake addicts. I think there is a possibility that I could overthrow the whole country with this cheesecake.

However, now that the graham cracker supply has dwindled, I'm not sure I can keep the title of cheesecake maker supreme. I'll have to experiment a bit but it might not be the same. And then I'll never live down the constant comments of "but your first cheesecakes were so good! That crust!"

Ah well. They say the mark of a good cook is their ability to experiment. We'll see if I end up with the Frankenstein of all cheesecakes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what Americans would think of this but I make a mean cheesecake using digestive biscuits (the ones from Dia, McVities are too sweet for me) I am pretty sure they are the same as Graham Crackers? My recipe is the cheesecake supreme from the infamous American classic "better homes and gardens"
People go nuts for it. I hope this helps.

Vol Abroad said...

Yes, digestive biscuits are a pretty good substitute for graham crackers. They aren't quite the same, but they're close enough for cheesecake crust.

In England they have that weird fluffy cheesecake, too. I can't eat it. I reckon it's nearly as calorific as a real cream cheese baked cake with sour cream topping, but it just isn't worth the pain.

Unknown said...

I'm ready for some right now... That sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Ginger snaps and pecans (if you can get them?) make a pretty fancy crust. Also addictive. Here where I am, the streets are paved with refried beans. Every conceivable flavor. Let me know when you're ready for some :-)

Alice said...

sounds delicious! If you're bored one day and don't know what to blog about, how about posting the recipe for those of us who don't know how to make a typical American cheesecake? ;)

melusina said...

DeviousDiva, I'd thought about the digestives but thought maybe they'd be too heavy. Not to mention I'm not sure I want that much roughage in my cheesecake, lol. But it is a good option.

Vol Abroad, I don't think they should even be able to call that cheesecake. But anyway...

Sappho, thanks so much for the offer! Methinks, though, it is time for you to make a trip to Greece, to enjoy the ouzo and music in style!

Susan, I don't know if I've seen ginger snaps here, but there is a cookie that might be similar, although I haven't tried it. The nuts are a really good idea though! Of course, that really ups the fat content of the cheesecake, but I guess if we are already there anyway. I'm not sure if it would be good to live in a place where the streets are paved with refried beans, lol. There is another place that supposedly has a large Mexican food supply as well as American products, so I'll be checking there before I make any large scale requests.

Alice, I'll try to remember to post the recipe tomorrow. It is so nicely simple. And delicious.