Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sorry, Alfred

So much for King Alfred the Great. The British populace have named their top 20 heroes ever, and it doesn't seem ye olde heroes have made the list.

Part of a poll conducted by a British amusement park to name seats on a new ride, the modern Brit seems to prefer pop culture icons (seriously, this isn't a jab at the British in particular, I've no doubt the result would be the same just about anywhere) like Sean Connery, Bob Geldolf, JK Rowling and David Beckham. It seems the definition of hero has been redefined by the modern age. Not that have any problems with the people on the list, in fact I am quite fond of many of them. I just don't know that I would call them heroes. No point arguing over semantics, anyway.

In the end, I guess it is better not to have an amusement park seat bearing Alfred's name, it seems too belittling.

1 comment:

Dixie said...

It reminds me of when Germans voted for the greatest German of all time for some TV show. Number 16 was some idiot teenie star who was a runner up on one of those Idol shows.

Oh the power of 11 year old girls!