Saturday, January 07, 2006

Finally! A Jesus I can get on board with

There has been some suggestion, thanks to the oh-so-reliable source High Times magazine, that cannabis extract was in the anointing oils Jesus used.

"There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," Carl Ruck, professor of classical mythology at Boston University said.

Referring to the existence of cannabis in anointing oils used in ceremonies, he added: "Obviously the easy availability and long-established tradition of cannabis in early Judaism _ would inevitably have included it in the [Christian] mixtures."

Now, while I think it is certainly plausible that cannabis was used then, especially for its healing properties, I'm not sure this article really gives definitive proof of anything.

"If cannabis was one of the main ingredients of the ancient anointing oil _ and receiving this oil is what made Jesus the Christ and his followers Christians, then persecuting those who use cannabis could be considered anti-Christ," Mr Bennett concludes.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not lambasting High Times. I only read it for the articles, though. And I certainly wouldn't stand in the way of legalization talks worldwide. But this kind of crazy talk isn't going to help the cause. Use some sense, people!

3 comments:

Scholiast said...

It's just that - as far as I know these anointing oils were applied to visitors' feet. Mainly.

Why would anyone want to bathe their feet in cannabis, that's what I'd like to know...

Admin said...

A small word of advice if you allow me. I think you need to watch out for the size of your ads on the side bar. They are pushing your main content downwards. All the best.

melusina said...

Lol, Mike. I don't know if cannabis is necessary to include more in faith. Faith is faith.

Well, if the cannabis were a part of an herb mixture, it might not be so bad. But I don't see how it made people high, although it might have been deemed to have had some healing properties as an ointment back then. All I know is I found this article to be really weird.

Lucky Hawk, you aren't the first person who has said that, but it looks normal on my computer, in Netscape and Explorer, and on my husband's computer, in Mozilla, so I am not sure how to fix it.