Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In which I tell the world a most embarrassing fact about myself

My attempts to learn Greek are more along the lines of an epic struggle between good and evil than a regular language lesson. It seems that after 36 years of life speaking good ol’ American English I am a bit set in my ways when it comes to pronouncing things, even things that bear no resemblance to my beloved Latin alphabet. Sure, I hear bonafide Greek all the time. Yes, I do know how certain letters are supposed to be pronounced. Yet when I find myself pronouncing a new word for the first time, I always resort to the regular old way of pronouncing things.

For example, the Greek epsilon (ε), which greatly resembles a nice Latin e, is pronounced more like eh, not eee. This is a fact I have known for at least 2 years now. And even though my brain knows this, understands it, and would tell someone learning Greek for the very first time this, I cannot seem to transfer this fact to my vocal chords. No doubt if my ass could talk it would pronounce it right, but alas, it is not to be. You can literally see blood vessels burst in my husband’s head, steam pour out of his ears and tiny goblins painting his hair gray every time I mispronounce an epsilon. This fact is well known amongst family, and every time I do it in front of my mother-in-law, she simply dies laughing.

But this is not the only thing. I don’t spit enough when I say chi (χ), I keep getting delta (δ) and theta (θ) mixed up (or rather, I pronounce my thetas like my deltas, which is incorrect, another fact I am quite well aware of) and for the love of all that is good and holy I cannot seem to grasp the concept of accents. I try, really I do, but something that should be as simple as telling time seems to be as complicated as rocket science in my pea-sized nugget of a brain. No matter what, whenever I try to enunciate the accent correctly, I get it ass backwards. This is not amusing to my poor husband, who, after running around the apartment in circles with tinfoil on his head and thwapping at the cats with his underwear in frustration, pauses for a minute, surely contemplating how many times I was dropped on my head as an infant that I can’t figure out how to goddamn enunciate my accents properly. Our cats probably speak better Greek than I do.

With a series of repetitive blows to the head, perhaps I can reset my brain to normal functionality somehow. I honestly don’t know how I am ever going to learn Greek well enough to feel comfortable speaking to people without them looking at me like I just swallowed a cow pie, but my reading ability is coming along nicely. In time, perhaps, I’ll be able to eh and spit with the best of them. Probably not before my husband’s hair turns entirely gray, though.

7 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

Oh my poor poor poor Melusina! What are they doing to you? Be not afraid for they know not what they do! LOLOL

I totally empathise with you because I was (and often still am) right where you are now...battling with everything in my brain telling me that accents are not supposed to be on the ends of words. (μαλακά/soft--μαλάκα/asshole) Screw that one up and see what happens. 8 years on and I am still very careful when I have to use that word.

So many times people have criticised me for my accent in Greek and use themselves as perfect examples of speaking English flawlessly...or so they think. They'll still say "thanks God", I washed my hairs yesterday, "see" instead of "she" and can't figure out the difference between ship and sheep. 10 years of English frontistirios and a Cambridge proficiency under their belts and parts of our language still escapes them. Of course none of this is so important that we don't understand what they're saying and that's the important thing when first learning a language...being understood. No one speaks perfectly in any language after a couple of months, that only comes after practice.

You also have to remember that (I'm assuming here) this is the first attempt you've made at learning another language and you're doing it after 36 years. Also, because you speak English, you won't pick up Greek as fast as other foreigners because English is readily accessible to you...you can still get your movies and TV shows in English. Most signage is in English as well as Greek and many people will try to speak English with you even as you attempt to communicate in Greek. They still do it to me all the time and as nice as that is, it retards our learning speed.

But don't give up Mel. It's really important to speak conversational Greek and read it. You'll find social events and even trips to the supermarket less frustrating when you don't have to do sign language to make yourself understood.

I think it's great that you're trying whereas many English speaking foreigners I've met don't even bother. Good luck to you Mel!!

christina said...

Sounds like you're doing just fine. Greek is not an easy language.

Things I can say in Greek (I had a Greek boyfriend once):

good day
please
thank you
bread
fish
flowers
oranges
with water and Nivea
I love you my little kitten

Very useful, huh?

Hang in there! At least you're trying.

Anonymous said...

First of all, if Thano's hair goes grey, there's always the 'Just For Men' product so it's fixable so don't let that be a concern! :-)

My dad always makes me laugh when he uses his one English curse line.

He says:

"Son of a bits" (supposed to be a female dog but he can't to the 'ch' sound in English so it sounds like bits as in bits and pieces)

As for your Greek, I know it's a pain to learn new languages and I think it's amazing you're making the effort but you'll get there and it'll make such a difference so when times get tough and you can't be bothered with it any more.

Remember... we're all behind you on this one! We'll keep your spirits high!

Anonymous said...

Learning Greek is definitely a labour of love... I taught Greek to British people for 4 years, so I'm well aware of that! However, using a good text book can help a lot (though getting the accent right is a matter of oral practice, rather than using good books, as I'm sure you know by now). In case you haven't come across them yet, there's a series of books called Επικοινωνήστε Ελληνικά, which is probably the best one I've used. Just an idea!

Best of luck with your Greek studies... you'll get there!

Cynthia Rae said...

The worst problem I had was getting my tongue to roll my r's. Now it is like second nature. Best of luck to ya. I can not imagine trying to Greek.

It all looks Greek to me!

Cyn

teacher dude said...

Definitely been there, done that. I now how you feel about the different sounds. It took me forever to get the γ in γαλα right.

Still, get yourself enrolled in good language school. There is nothing like hearing other people making a mess of the language to boost your confidence.

Anonymous said...

I thought the Latin e was pronounced "ay"?