Monday, January 23, 2006

Snow? What snow?

The big news story tonight in Greece is all the snow and the freezing temperatures coming in from Siberia. I was watching the news on one channel tonight, and they had a reporter who was supposedly in Thessaloniki, showing snow all around. Well, I've been looking outside all damn day and I'll be durned if we have any accumulation here in the Thessaloniki city center (I will assume they had their cameras up on some of the mountainous regions surrounding Thessaloniki). Yea, we had some flurries which you could barely see against the whitewash of the buildings across the street, but that hardly qualified as snow, and it seems to have stopped now.

Being from the American South, I am used to the vagaries of snow forecasts and the resulting widespread panic they can cause. In Nashville whenever snow was in the forecast, you could always find thousands of people flooding to the Green Hills Kroger, buying all the bottled water and milk they can find (as if anyone in Green Hills was ever snowed in more than a couple of days). Sure, I remember the great ice storm of (what the hell year was that??) when we didn't have power for days, even in the Belmont area. But that kind of outage is usually pretty rare in that part of town, and buying up the goods every time snow is forecast is, well, sort of like a Pavlovian dog who doesn't realize it gets shocked every time it reaches for a treat.

Greeks also have this sort of "snow hysteria", which actually isn't limited to snow but inclement weather of any kind. I have a bit of an understanding why this is now, since Greece is traditionally the land of sun and sea, and seriously, they don't experience a whole lot of bad weather. When we lived on the island of Kos, I'd say we had maybe two months of winter that you could actually consider moderately cold (almost never getting to freezing temperatures) and overall I'd say sunny weather at least 300 days of the year. On Mt. Olympus it got cold, and we had a couple of big snows, but you still had predominantly sunny weather there. Nashville summers were always filled with afternoon storms, but here, no matter where you live, a summer rain shower seems fairly rare, which is why, I suppose, the Greek word for summer literally translates to "good weather".

Still, I can't help being a bit disappointed, and hoping perhaps a thin blanket of snow will fall overnight. Practically speaking, I find snow to be a pain in the ass (if there is a millimeter of ice, I will find a way to slip on it), but the child inside me still reacts with awe and wonder at the sight of snow. I suppose when you come from a region of the U.S. that doesn't spend the winter encased in snow, you always feel that way.

There is some hope yet, as the winter is still young, and we all know February can be a snowy month.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when it snowed when I was in central Italy. Being from the Northeast of the US, I was not impressed by the small amount of snow that fell, but everyone else from that area was not used to it and were outside with their cameras. That was interesting to see.
I hope you get your millimeter of snow.

teacher dude said...

There's me expecting the heat death of the universe and what do we get ? A couple of mm of snow. I tell you the tv news here sucks harder than a hoover.

St. Caffeine said...

Off topic, but I wanted you to get this before the link below goes "behind the wall":

First, sorry no snow. I know how that sucks.

Second, thanks for recent comments. My blog had gotten lonely.

Third, I saw this [http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/living/1136974515135750.xml?huntsvilletimes?lrel&coll=1] in the Huntsville Times last week (notice it's a local story). How strange is that? Anyway, just wanted to pass it along.

melusina said...

j.doe, I would have come from the northeastern U.S. if my family hadn't moved from there when I was very young. I had to wish for most of my snow, it wasn't a given. But I suppose in traditionally "sunny" climes like Greece and Italy, ANY snow is SNOW!!

teacher dude, tv news here is...really sad. All sensationalism. It embarrasses me.

st. caffeine, what do you know? it is a small world, isn't it? I'll have to let my husband read that article, he'll appreciate it. I like the way the guy talked about his experience. I am not religious, but I can respect the way he feels about it.

Gia-Gina said...

It is flippin' cold here too, maybe Siberia is also to blame for our cold snap. 2 C today and -5 the other morning. Yikes!

deviousdiva said...

I got a call at midday from my kids school to come and pick him up due to bad weather. Now before everyone freaks out, I realise Greece has little experience of snow, but WHAT THE HELL? I live near the centre of Athens. It's cold. There is snow. None of which is on the ground even now at 1am Sorry guys. There are no snow drifts. No snow storms. No breakdowns of electricity even! But the schools (which are heated well enough to raise terrapins and lizards) are CLOSED. Even my kids teacher said to me it's just an opportunity for a day off! I understand that the rest of Greece is under snow and having serious problems but we, in central Athens, are not. My kid is seriously pi**ed off and so am I.

Flubberwinkle said...

Ahhh, the snow hype! We Greeks like to do things up in a BIG way. In Greece it doesn't rain, it POURS. It doesn't snow, it comes in a form of a BLIZZARD! We are either OVERprepared (yeah, like that could ever happen) or we get caught with our pants down in severe weather (ouch, that's gotta sting!)
I sit in my office, listening to Forest Gump OST, doing my work and watching big, fluffy snowflakes fall outside my window. Most of my co-workers have taken the day off, probably because they "thought" they were snowed in...
:-)

Cynthia Rae said...

If you get a snow storm before we do, I swear I will scream! I think we are the ONLY town in Italy without snow!

Cyn

Infindecimal slice said...

during the 80s there were times, here in down town Thessaloniki, when the snow was up to your knees and everything was iced over. I remember them fondly.