Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hell's bells and supermarket stallers

We live in the Thessaloniki city center, which means, ostensibly, that it is the hippest, happeningist part of the city, where lots of crap is going down all the time and lots and lots of people are running around. So I am trying to figure out why our grocery store (ie. the grocery store across the street from us instead of the one three blocks over and 4 blocks down and 5 blocks behind us) cannot restock items more frequently than every six months. It isn’t like it is some sad little mom and pop grocery store that is a front for some baby selling racket, this is a grocery store that is part of a rather large national chain of supermarkets. Not only that, but it is located on one of the busiest main streets in Thessaloniki. Yet somehow, their policy on restocking non-staple items when they run out seems to be something along the lines of “when we bloody well want to” and that doesn’t really work for me. They manage to have a metric fekton of crap that no one ever wants in unlimited supplies, but if I want a particular brand of frozen pizza or a bag of shredded mozzarella, I have to wait. And wait. And wait. I could understand when this happened in the middle of winter on a Greek island, but in the Thessaloniki city center? I.don’t.think.so.

Sure, I could schlep my way to another grocery store, but why should I have to? This is the big city, forchrissakes. I can do without. Still, on any given day, when the skies are cloudy and my mind starts to wander, I reminisce sadly about the Green Hills Kroger, and how they always had everything I ever wanted, and more. Oh dear Masoutis, you will never be a Kroger!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which supermarket is it... name and shame... name and shame...

It's very late right now because I totally misread and was about to ask why you'd be buying a bag of frozen cheese.

I should go to bed.... but I need the room to stop spining before I attempt that. I think someone spiked my drinks with alcohol tonight. I hate it when that happens.

The SeaWitch said...

I'll name and shame for you Ellas. Panemporiki supermarkets. There was one right around the corner from my house when I first moved here. I stopped shopping there after it became quite a habit to return most of my pasta, rice and spices because they were full of bugs. Yes, bugs. The live, squirming kind. Sklaventis is still the best when it comes to good prices (and they even sell cheddar cheese) and Veropoulos for higher quality meat and at least in my neighbourhood, both are usually well-stocked.