Monday, January 09, 2006

Yet something else I don't understand

So an award-winning pastry chef decides to leave America and open a business in France. Already, the plan is a bit risky, but doable. It turns out, however, that the new venture she started in Paris happens to be a pastry shop, of sorts, for dogs.

Don't get me wrong. I love animals of all kinds. I spoil our three cats with love and affection, and occasionally a VERY SMALL crumb of hamburger or a speck of whipped cream. As far as their diet is concerned, however, I spend about 5 euros every two weeks for a bag of Whiskas in their favorite flavor. Sure, if one of those fancy low-ash, "science" diet type cat foods were available readily here I might spend a little more on their food, but I sure as hell am not going to some hoity toity place where a treat for one animal probably costs more than one bag of food for my beloved felines (not that this place caters to cats anyway).

I understand a reasonable amount of spending on your pet. A comfortable place to sleep, a scratching post, some toys. A bag of treats now and then. When I want things really crazy, I'll spring for a bag of catnip. But buying an expensive treat for an animal who will just as happily eat shit is not something that seems acceptable, and certainly not on a regular basis. Yea, we think we are doing them a favor. We think they really care. But as long as they are fed, loved, warm, and have a sufficient place to use the bathroom, they couldn't care less whether they have a specialty treat from Mon Bon Chien or a Snausage.

Even worse are the celebrity pets. Yea, I know they have money. But do you really think little Tinkerbelle wants to wear an outfit that makes her look like a doofus? Are animals really meant to wear clothes? It is considered cruel and disabling to dress a chimpanzee, I'd assume the same applies for a dog or a cat. Watch someone try to put fancy little shoes on a dog. It might be hilarious at first, but then it is just a little sad.

Maybe this sort of opinion makes me a bad cat mommie, but I don't care. In at least some things in my life, common sense must prevail. Besides, our cats seem pretty damned content.

2 comments:

The SeaWitch said...

I don't think it makes you a "bad cat mommie" at all if you don't buy your pets meals from a 5 star chef. If people have that kind of money to blow, maybe we should introduce them to the millions of refugees and poverty stricken people the world over who would benefit from and appreciate a couple of extra dollars a day than a spoiled pet ever would.

Anonymous said...

Bad Cat Mommie

For some reason, that phrase made me laugh out loud.

I think obviously this chef has realized there's a lot of rich idiots living in the catchment area of her new store.

But saying that, we used to have a dog who refused to eat anything but boiled chicken. We used to have to cook a chicken and pick it just for the dog.

So maybe we're just as bad!