Thursday, January 12, 2006

That time of year

The winter doldrums may be getting to us after the joyous holiday season, but at least in America you always have Girl Scout Cookie season to help cheer you up and keep you nice and fat for the long, cold winter. It has been years since I bought Girl Scout Cookies. Well, obviously since I've been in Greece for the past 4 winters - but even before that I'm not sure I purchased any my last couple of years in Nashville.

I was a Girl Scout myself many, many moons ago. Back then, I dreaded Girl Scout Cookie season. I was never one for customer interaction in person, even as a child, so the thought of trudging door to door trying to sell cookies was quite dreadful. My salesmanship must have come across something akin to a zombie going door to door trying to eat brains, because I never sold many cookies, and I never tried to sell them. I sort of appeared at doors and said "well, here is an order form for Girl Scout Cookies if you want some". Most people balked at the price (which I always thought was kinda high myself) and either said no or felt sorry for me and ordered way more than any normal household could consume, unless it contained a pot-smoking teenager.

Today's Girl Scouts have it much easier. They simply have to get with a couple of their Scout friends and a parent or two and park a table out in front of a Kroger, where the children follow you with their sad Girl Scout faces until you buy a couple of boxes of cookies from them. No order forms, no waiting. Cookies on demand. WAY too easy.

Still, I could go for a couple of boxes of Thin Mints right about now, since Greece is a country that is seemingly devoid of the notion of putting chocolate and mint together. So if you are in a position to buy some Girl Scout cookies this year, buy an extra box of Thin Mints, and think of me as you enjoy them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's funny I just ordered a couple of boxes from my co-worker's child!

The SeaWitch said...

I have never had a Girl Scout come to my door here, Canada or the US to sell me cookies. Everyone from JWs to Mormons to politicians but no Girl Scouts. Is it possible I could have been the lady on the block mothers warned their kids about? That's the only answer I can come up with as to why only people who wanted to convert me or extract votes from me showed up.

If only they had brought cookies with them...I might be blogging Christian politics now. LOL

Alice said...

I haven't had a lot of occasions to try them, but I do know they're damn good! Especially the mints! Yum.

christina said...

Oh, I haven't thought about this in years!

In my youth was a Brownie and a Girl Guide in Canada and as a card- carrying introvert selling those cookies was always the ultimate nightmare for me. Knocking on the doors of perfect strangers and asking them to buy something? No thank you. But we somehow managed to sell many, many boxes. It must have been my terrified stare. :-)

Back in those days they were just chocolate or vanilla sandwich cookies - they've become so much more fancy now. -Yum!

melusina said...

Cool Nicole! I hate Athens, but it is a perfectly charming city if you are only visiting!