Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The burden of responsibility

The big story in Greece right now concerns two patients at Hippokration Hospital in Thessaloniki who contracted HIV from infected blood transfusions. The story is a sad one, especially for the 17-year-old patient, and of course people all over Greece are up in arms about the situation.

I'll admit that I tend to be on the side of the righteous objectors in this case. The director at the hospital says they are not responsible, and my husband, being a doctor himself, concurs with that opinion. While I don't necessarily place blame on the hospital, I do believe they bear some of the burden of responsibility in regards to an incident like this. Then again, so does any blood donation center and any person who donates blood. Why donate blood if you choose to lie about your sexual and medical history? Are you trying help, or harm?

My husband says that one test (PCR) that would ensure to a greater extent (not 100% though, no test can guarantee 100%) that no blood would be infected would cost around fifty euros per unit. If you add that figure to the 500,000 units of blood that pass through Greece every year, that is a pretty hefty number - 25,000,000 euros. Are the righteous and indignant people of Greece willing to help foot the bill in their taxes or medical costs? To me, the added cost would be worth it - even if I never needed a blood transfusion myself, I would feel better knowing that it would be more unlikely for a 17-year-old girl to contract HIV from a blood transfusion. Still, I find that it is easy for Greeks to be on the warpath without being willing to share the burden of the solution. Obviously, if hospitals had to eat this cost, it would increase health care costs for everyone. Should blood transfusion patients have to pay it on their own? It is a solution - but in my opinion, a cruel one. If the people of Greece want safer blood, they need to want safer blood for all, not just themselves.

It seems as though the Health Ministry has taken the issue at hand, although there has been little to no mention of the cost of the new program, and how effectively it will be implemented.

There is one thing I think people of Greece (and perhaps worldwide) need to remember: we should all bear the burden of responsibility. Our lives are worth it.

4 comments:

Tracie P. said...

i agree, i would happily pay 50 euro one time in my life, for example, to insure the security of the national blood supply. poor guy...

Flubberwinkle said...

I'm addressing this to the doctor in the house also: Is Greece doing the same blood screening procedure as other European countries? Do other countries pay 50euros per unit? If so, why aren't we?
I'm sure we're all in acordance that health and education should be top priorities in every nation's budget. So 50 euros per unit of blood -particularly since we're in such short stock of blood - is worth every cent, isn't it?
I've donated blood many times in the past and I don't recall ever having been asked if I've been sexually promiscuous or if I have reason to believe I might be an HIV carrier. The oral interview and form filling process is a bit freehanded and based on the donor's honesty and how medically self-aware he/she is.

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :

BRAVO DOC

i give blood , when
i remember and usually
the nurse takes the time
and fills in the questionaire
every time,
usually gives me double
dose of orange , cause
usually i get fainty headed.
BUT when i go for someone
in particular to give blood
they dont ask, maybe work
overload, in all probability.

on the other hand , it isnt
the 50 euros, thats the problem
its whats kept from the working
stiff from his paycheck
for social services ( IKA )
A LOT OF THE MONEY
usually doesnt end up by businesses
especially very large ones.

especially in ASPROPYRGOS INDUSTRIAL
AREA (ask how much money is owed to IKA there and youll be suprised).

thessalonikis ΒΙ.ΠΕ area ,,too

so one thing is that money for
the goverment is never paid.

if it was ,....why isnt you say.?

--------------------------------



THE other thing is , in the past years
the heads of all these organazations
played the money , in the stock exchange both left and right parties

result is give to who and why

ANYMORE..? ?

WHERE did the finance minister
work and play his money before
in the stock exchange,
becoming a minister,
Now his screaming thieves
his ex-green parteners.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE
THAT THE AVERAGE GREEK WONT PAY.

ITS just theres no one to trust
anymore to organize , the state
no one is liable for anything ,
to the people.

SO IN all this dementia youve
got the media screaming that
the blood donor
was a muslim , .....?
why is his blood green or what.?

trust your countrys guidance to
who and give the state more money
why,,,?


==== Z ====

Anonymous said...

I don't live in Greece, so I don't know if Greeks would pay for the extra blood screening or not,but I don't think directly it is their responsibility. Some of the people donating might not even know if they have HIV or AIDS or not so I don't think all of the blame should be because of the donors. I don't think it's the hospital's fault for not testing the blood either. They paid for what they thought was good quality blood. It is the responsibilty of the clinic. They should do the extra test and any charges they should pass along to the hospital or whoever else wants to buy their products. The hospital's or whoever buys the blood has to pay the higher costs for it, but then they know it was tested to the highest degree possible. Eventually the average Greek's taxes might go up since the healthcare system is supported by their tax money, so I guess my whole comment/argument was a big circle. The average Greek WILL pay for the extra blood screening test whether they want to or not. It should be done though. What a tragedy for the 17 year old!