Monday, March 27, 2006

Move over Yaweh, God, Allah - Zeus and Co. are back, baby!

In a ruling by a first-instance court in Athens last week, Zeus and the other 11 Olympians made a comeback. The court ruled in approval of the formation of an association of people who worship the Olympian 12. I would hope they would make such a ruling, although sometimes I doubt the idea of religious freedom exists in Greece.

Obviously, the Church of Greece is not too fond of such an association, while some people have claimed that such a group smacks of idolatry.

“I support everybody’s right to practice their faith, whichever it may be, without hindrance,” said Apostolos Vrachiolidis, a journalist and one of the founding members of the association. Members of the group deny that they engage in idolatry. “We simply want to worship the gods of our ancestors freely,” a member who preferred to remain anonymous told Kathimerini.

Personally, I can get on board with such a group. I’ve always been particularly fond of Zeus and his cronies, their jolly antics and warmongering ways. Still, what of the gods and goddesses beyond the 12? There is a rich pantheon full of deities to suit every need, not limited to just the 12. I guess it is best to start with the 12 and branch out, because a lot of them might be a bit shy to re-emerge after Christianity smashed them all to bits. At any rate, I’m glad to see that there are people in Greece who still see the merit in the old religion. Maybe they will restart the Oracle at Delphi and at some point perhaps I can run into a band of Maenads to hang out with. I’ve always wanted to go all out on a blood-letting, ecstatic frenzy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

RIGHT next thing that'll
come up ,, will be some

BLOG deity ,,

right,,,,

probably have a tv serial

and it will be filmed ,,,
were else .........

TENNESSE ,,,


im glad we watch zina ..



O.K. just joking.
== Z ==

Tracie P. said...

not that different from catholicism...there's also a saint for every need. there may be only one god, but those saints, from what i've observed here in italy, get way prayers than god.

Vol Abroad said...

let me know when they re-open Delphi. I want some mystic water and to run around nekkid in an olive grove.

Kassandra said...

Yeah, this is great news! I love the ancient Greek gods and all the myths, and in general pagan religions... Though not sure I'll be prancing through any groves naked! Athena's my personal fave... One cool gal.