Monday, March 06, 2006

I live in the wrong time zone

So, I stayed up til 7am to watch the Oscars last night. I blame it on Jon Stewart, who did a fabulous job as host and should be asked back next year, although I am not sure the Hollywood audience appreciated him enough. Only Jon Stewart and his team could create campaign ads for leading actress. Only Jon Stewart could wake up in bed with George Clooney. We love ya, Jon.

As to the winners, meh. I am quite happy for Reese Witherspoon, but the rest I have no opinions about, since I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I'm not entirely sure the pimp song deserved the Oscar after hearing all the songs, but none of the songs were really that spectacular. Sorry, Dolly.

The real award should go to Jennifer Garner, who recovered gracefully from a near dive when walking out on stage. Not to mention she is looking great after "recovering" from giving birth.

While we were all sleeping off the glamour of Hollywood's big night, the governor of South Dakota signed new legislation banning nearly all abortions in his state. The only legal abortions would be those that save a woman's life. Ironically, most abortions do seem to save a woman's life, in one way or another. It is a stark reminder that despite all the pioneering efforts made in film to spread the message of tolerance and human rights, the U.S. is still taking steps backwards.

EDIT: Christ, now I read that Tennessee is bringing up a bill that would basically alter the language of the Tennessee Constitution to say that it doesn't "secure or protect the right to an abortion or require the funding of abortion". What is happening to my country?

2 comments:

chez bez said...

Yes, methinks my nation is in big trouble. This tide is turning badly.

Now, more than ever, I vote thinking of my children's rights in the future.

Emily said...

Ugh. Sometimes I really don't want to go back to the states. This is just so upsetting. How can you force a rape victim to have her rapist's child?