Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Man in the High Castle

I recently had the pleasure of reading my first Philip K. Dick novel. I feel pretty secure in saying pleasure, even though I’m not entirely sure of my final reaction to the book. The Man in the High Castle is about an America in which FDR was assassinated in his first term and the Germans and Japan won World War II. Yet the novel isn’t entirely that simplistic, in fact, for perfectly postmodern shits and giggles, embedded in the novel is the story of a writer who lives in the neutral Rocky Mountain States who has written a highly controversial book about what the world would have been like had America and England been victorious. The book is a best seller, and of course banned on the German controlled East Coast, but the Japanese on West Coast don’t feel quite as threatened by it. The reactions of the different characters to this “novel” are varied and sometimes amusing – as one Pacific American muses how much worse things could have been.

There are a handful of characters representing various backgrounds in the novel and we get to know them well, in each case following them through a journey of sorts, some more intense than others. Dick does an excellent job following through with each character, and twisting the novel within the novel throughout the storyline. What starts to be a horrifying alternate reality ends up reflecting on the true modern world – mirroring back and forth and back and forth until the end, which I won’t spoil for anyone. Ultimately it is the ending I am unsure of – it will probably require a second reading for me to make up my mind on whether it is an ending of pure genius or a postmodern copout.

I like Dick’s writing style, although sometimes his predilection for succinctness irritates me. Not that he excludes anything necessary in his brevity, I just felt “cut off” now and then in this work – I want to see deeper, and he does not allow it. At any rate, I look forward to reading The Simulacra and eventually trying out more Dick novels.

5 comments:

Kat Coble said...

Philip K. Dick is the wonderfulness against which I measure most other authors.

John Valentine said...

I read The Man in the High Castle just last year. It was not my favorite PKD novel but I enjoyed it. I consider his work to exist in the realm of conceptualist more than novelist. I don't think he is so much a great story teller as he is a thinker. He loves to play with the ideas of time and self identity. Good stuff.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”
Philip K. Dick

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:
------------
call me stupid , but i see

conspiracy's everywere,

The truth is i havent read mr DICK

but since you say that the NAZI'S

won WWII in the states , does mr

DICK mention were the concentration

camps and ovens were put up to take

care of blackstjewsandeverybody that

they wasnt up to arianstandards.

OR DOY YOU THINK ITS NAIVETY

THAT SEVERAL WRITERS FORNICATE

WORLD HISTORY ..THAT

YOUNGER GENERATION HAS

POSITEVILY NO IDEA WHAT THE TRUTH

IS ANYMORE ,, ....

SO WHAT NOW WE WAIT FOR THE

T.V. MOVIE OR THE BIG SCREEN,,,,,


Yes i've got an imagination

just think there's a think tank

of writers and such who are

bent on twisting all of human

history around to suit

who in the end..???????

gotta go now i'm going to see

ZINA ,, she becomes a greek god

in todays episode by killing ARIES

the god of war, and her friend

jesusachrit helps her by spreading

a new religion of peace and love.



wow
==== zardoz ====

Joe Powell said...

I liked how even in the alternate view of the outcome of WW2, one of the leftover imnpacts was the assimilation of both Asian and European cultures within the daily biz of America - with the center of the country sort of a isolated no-man's land.
And the book-within-the-book idea says much about how current cultural tales spin the events of the present.
PKD was most amazing.
He also wrote a non-sci-fi book about the 1950s called "Confessions of a Crap Artist" where he certainly gets more into the minds and emotions of the characters.

Kassandra said...

Ah been meaning to read that one for ages, but yet to come across it second hand - a sure sign it's a good one. Thanks for reminding me...