Friday, March 24, 2006

If you really want a song stuck in your head

One hour of Nena's video for the hit song 99 Red Balloons?

It seems one contributor to VH1 Classic's drive to raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief chose to pay $35,000 to have 99 Luftballoons playing for one hour.

Now, I'm not knocking the song OR the video, although the latter was pretty cheeseball, but it was the 80's so it is excused. I thought it was a pretty cool song then and I still enjoy it now. But I fear that playing the video continuously for one hour would put the world in imminent danger of reality imitating the song.

I guess VH1 doesn't really have a choice in the matter. But I have to ask, why? Who in their right mind would want to hear (and not only that, pay $35,000 to hear it) the same song over and over again for a whole hour? (Unless, of course, we are talking about someone who just broke up with their significant other and that is a whole different story) At least it wasn't something truly awful, like The Ketchup Song or Ice, Ice, Baby.

It is for a good cause, though, so we can afford to suffer. Not to mention there is this great invention for the television called the remote control - so we can change the channel if the pressure gets to be too much. Still, it would be nice to know why, lest it remain one of the great unanswered questions of our time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'd make for a great drinking game...

The SeaWitch said...

If I had $35,000, I'd gladly pay it to see Abba videos for an hour. LOL Great value for money...certainly a better deal than 99 Red Balloons.

melusina said...

Bah AT, who needs a game to drink? Lol

SeaWitch, I definitely agree. But I actually don't think I'd want to see the SAME Abba video replayed for an hour.