Monday, March 13, 2006

The weirdest thing I've ever seen at McDonald's

Sure, they've had disastrous sandwiches through the years. Burritos, pizza, and in Greece, a "Greek" style sandwich.

But now they are offering a spring roll type thing, fresh on the Lenten menu for all the Greek Orthodox customers who are fasting. I'm not surprised, really, more Greeks than I'd expect take the fast quite seriously (as evidenced from all the fish smells coming from nearby apartments of late) and I suppose the fast food (no pun intended) restaurants have to keep up or lose a crucial number of customers over a six week period. But spring rolls? Really?

Admittedly, I had to try them, simply because I've been craving Asian fare and haven't had the opportunity in a long time (in other words, we haven't found a Chinese restaurant in Thessaloniki yet). They weren't bad, all things considered. But still, spring rolls, at McDonald's? Supposedly they are offering some sort of shrimp too. Um, not to be rude, but, there are plenty of places to get fresh seafood in Greece, I don't think we need to get our shrimp at McDonald's.

I guess I just never thought I'd see the day that McDonald's was anything but the burgers, fries, and McDonaldland cookies I used to love as a kid. I guess it is all about evolution.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :

nice ,, and you aint seen nuthin

yet until you see MACDONALDS

menu in BEIJING , CHINA.


ILL LEAVE YA TO BE SUPRISED.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that McDonalds are not doing so well here in Greece. I remember being so excited when they first came to Greece when I was a kid.

The problem with McDonalds is that the food isn't that good. It's fast food and obviously there's a lot of competition in that market.

In Greece, they tried to make their food more appealing to the local market, I'm sure people remember the 'McGreek', two burgers in pita served with tzatziki. It didn't work, this latest product is just another attempt to attract people.

Saying that though, I went to McDonalds with my friend recently (the one at Eleftherios Venizelos) and had a 'Big Tasty', it was delicious.

As for overseas, McDonalds have had to move away from being 'all about the burgers' due to the fact that Americans are realizing that all the high fat content food they eat at McDonalds might be the reason they're getting fat. Remember the woman who sued for that very reason.

Now you'll see in the States and other places, McDonalds selling low fat food and salads. They also sell fruit for desert rather than ice cream and doughnuts.

(PS: Just also wanted to let you know I'm back at http://ellasdevil.blogspot.com - wordpress was a NIGHTMARE!!)

Emily said...

You've seen a lot of Greeks taking fast seriously? Really? Here where I work, the dining hall has been serving meat almost exclusively for the past week. As I was expecting vegetarian options, I'm seriously pissed off. It's not a religious issue for me, though, just a lack of enthusiasm for meat in general.
Anyway, I have not tried the McDonald's spring roll, since I've never been a big McDonald's fan...but maybe I should. I too, would really love some good Chinese food. Yum. I'll let you know if I come across a good place. I hear there's good Indian near H Kamara.

melusina said...

Lol Zardoz, I believe you. I guess every McDonald's aims to cover regional fare in some way or another.

Ellasdevil, I actually like McDonald's better than Goody's, mainly because of the fries. And I am happy that they now have a veggie burger. Mmmm. I remember the McGreek well, I didn't know if they were still serving it. I don't like the Big Tasty though. It is too big! Yea, in America they are going all healthy, which is good. It is nice to have fast food choices that are healthy. And I'll change your link again. Making me work here! Haha.

Emily - lets just say that the Greeks I know (ie. my in-laws and the extended family) seem to take the fast seriously. And I figured some folks around us are too just from the fish I smell cooking everyday. My husband and I, on the other hand, are heathens. The spring rolls aren't horrible, but they aren't good Chinese food. Man, I'd love some General Tso's chicken. You better believe if I find good chinese I'll be blogging about it!

Anonymous said...

sofuli 65, 55131 thessaloniki chinese restaurant!!