Monday, March 20, 2006

I dream in pastel

My husband and I are quite fond of DVDs, and have quite a nice collection going. Every couple of months, if our budget allows, we like to add new titles. We are both as fond of TV shows as movies, and have collected several complete sets of our favorite television shows – including X-Files, Friends, and Star Trek: TNG. Yes, we are indeed geeks.

I have a few rules, though, when it comes to DVD purchases. I won’t pay more than 15 euros for a movie and no more than 35 euros for a TV season (unless of course it something we are dying for, like when the new Seinfeld seasons are released). I’ve noticed over the years of DVD purchasing that frequently prices will drop significantly after a certain amount of time has passed, so I can usually get things for the prices I want. The downside is we have to wait.

After doing a scan for our TV show collections in progress (Law & Order, Scrubs, Northern Exposure) and finding them all well above my price requirement, I decided to start looking for a new favorite. Not wanting to sift through pages and pages of DVD titles, I put in a few off the top of my head: Moonlighting, St. Elsewhere, and finally, Miami Vice. Bingo! The first season of Miami Vice was well within my price range, and after consulting with my husband and extolling the virtues of the show, the order was placed (along with Field of Dreams and Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro).

Now, I know what you are thinking. What virtues can Miami Vice possibly have? It was a cheesy cop show from the 80’s, right?

My answer to that is yes and no. Sure, it has copious amounts of cheese. Tons of melodrama and overacting. Unrealistic scenarios. I actually had a friend who was so addicted to the show he went to Miami to become a cop and was disappointed that his salary was nowhere near enough to buy anything these guys had. Well, duh. Still, the series had some merit.

  • Michael Mann. I like this guy’s vision. His use of color to set mood. Sure, he didn’t direct many episodes, and only wrote a couple. But the show was his puppy, he was the executive producer. Not to mention his directing career took off with such movies as Heat, The Insider, and Ali, to name just a few. Not to mention he often uses Lisa Gerrard’s music for soundtrack selections.
  • Mega 80’s super star guest appearances. Ted Nugent, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, and Sheena Easton, to name a few.
  • Super cool soundtrack. Go, go, Jan Hammer!
  • It is a cop show, so that means detective work, and mysteries to be solved.
  • It epitomizes the 80’s – style, music, mood, setting, attitudes – how classic is that?

Now, I could go on, but I won’t. I’ll spare everyone anymore shameless blather about this 80’s TV show. That’s right, I feel no shame. I’m a product of the 80’s, and damn proud of it!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a product of the 80s, as well, but I never watched Miami Vice. I can barely remember what I watched in the 80s, and I know I did watch plenty of TV. Cheers, Hill Street Blues, The Cosby Show. Those were the more quality shows. The cheesy ones that don't get re-runs, like Punky Brewster and Alf I never watched. I still don't like those types of shows.

But I have to admit to certain guilty pleasures, like American Idol. Ooh, and I just remembered, Prison Break starts again tonight.

The SeaWitch said...

Mel, maybe your DVD club sells their used copies of DVDs like we do after about a month or so. We sell ours for 10€ and they're basically brand new without scratches or smudges. They're not copies so you can watch them in HD with full surround sound.

You could also talk with the owner of your DVD club and let him know of your interest in series DVDs because he might be able to let you know when they come as a package deal with other boxed sets so you might be able to get them cheaper.

If you don't need the Greek subtitles, you can bypass them altogether and buy off amazon.co.uk which is a LOT cheaper than what you get here with a wider selection.

I'd love to be able to get the old SNL series. Eddie Murphy spoofing Mr. Rogers and Alfalfa. Will Ferrell as a cheerleader and Martin Short as the Church Lady. If ONLY they existed on DVD here, I'd be laughing...literally. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for the Will & Grace Season 1-8 compete box set to be released on play.com from August. Every episode made! I love that show

Kassandra said...

Just about the only TV series I'd be willing to dish out any amount of money on is Six Feet Under. I've only got the first season, but it's proved to be excellent value as I've watched the whole thing through at least five times, along with various people from all backgrounds, all of whom enjoyed it (including my teenaged brothers, despite their protests of "ewwwwww, there's two men kissing!!!) It's an amazing show, so after you get over the Miami Vice phase, I suggest you make it your next purchase! Season 2 is definitely on my list - though not yet out in Greece...

Miss Kim said...

Argg... you had to remind me of my mad crush on Don Johnson! LOL

Anonymous said...

I bought the Six Feet Under DVD's in Spain. Season 1 and 2, the Spanish version has English and Spanish audio but also has Greek subtitles!

hobbes said...

80's hair.. 'nuff said.

melusina said...

Julie, I never watched Alf or Punky Brewster either. I also missed the train on Dynasty and Dallas. But I did watch Cheers, Hill Street Blues, and Cosby. I never watched American Idol before I moved to Greece and of course don't get much chance to view new U.S. shows like Prison Break. I only get to watch the new shows my parents tape and send me, so it is all their taste in TV viewing.

SeaWitch, unfortunately our DVD club sucks. Half the DVDs we rent are scratched or otherwise messed up, so that it skips scenes. So annoying. Too bad we don't live in an Athens neighborhood that has a wonderful SeaWitch store! We order most of our stuff from play.com (free shipping) or amazon.uk, because we don't care about Greek subtitles.

Ellasdevil, I was never too fond of Will and Grace. I watched it the first season it was on but it got stale for me after that.

Kassandra, we watched Six Feet Under when they showed it on Filmnet here. Unfortunately, it seems as if they aren't going to show the final season, so we are dying to find out what happens. Since you have only seen the first, I won't give any spoilers. While we enjoyed the show, I don't think it is for DVD purchasing. We have a long list of shows to get already, but once our collection fills up we'll probably start buying things we liked but wouldn't have considered buying, like Six Feet Under.

OK Traveller One, you caught me. I, too, had a crush on Don Johnson. I was trying to hide but since you confessed, I thought I would too.

Hobbes, too true! I forgot that! How could I forget the hair!!

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

I'll second "MOONLIGHTIN"

And ill raise you ,, on "HILL STREET "

damn near didnt leave the states
because of it.

thanks mis MEL its wonderful memories.

i had a younger sister who
i think also liked mr DON JONHSON.
So there must be many more.
So youre in good company.

==== Z ====