Saturday, February 18, 2006

Forget Freedom Fries, how about Roses of the Prophet Muhammad?

In a scathing political move, bakeries in Iran have changed the name of Danish pastries to "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad" in protest of the cartoons published in a Danish newspaper in September.

It seems that most customers in Iran really couldn't give a damn.

"I just want the sweet pastries. I have nothing to do with the name," shopper Zohreh Masoumi said.

Ah, a voice of reason! Seriously, though, does changing the name really prove anything? The whole "freedom fries" fiasco never really ran its course in the U.S.

Still, I have to say I am a bit annoyed by this. I'll be damned if you can get a danish of any kind here in Greece, yet they seem to be popular in Iran. I think I'll have to protest.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Kind of like Turkish coffee became Greek coffee after some political conflicts in Cyprus?
You're right, it's silly.