Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A tribute to the Winter Olympics

Every time I get into an Olympics discussion with people (it happens a lot more often than you'd think!) I am always lambasted for liking the winter games best. I get various responses, from "ice skating is gay" to "they don't have real sports at the winter Olympics" to "winter games are so boring".

These have to be people who have never truly watched winter Olympic coverage. My typical response to these people is generally "snow + ice + slippery = fun". After the last few days of watching various things off and on, my husband (formerly one of the naysayers) seems to be a bit more interested. Of course, this year's games have really helped to prove my point, what with all the falling and sliding and cross-country ski pileups.

Last night we were watching downhill skiing, and one guy totally wiped out hard core. Once I realized he was ok, I said to my husband:

"See, right there. That is why the winter Olympics are so fun".

He nodded in agreement.

Snow + ice + slippery = fun. Every damn time. As long as no one really gets hurt, of course.

5 comments:

Cynthia Rae said...

A little off the subject, but happy VD to you too...or as they say in Italy "Buon San Valentino"!

You make me laugh!
Cyn

Scholiast said...

You don't think it's just because of the medal opportunity? Over here we've got winter all year (almost...) and usually (but not so far this year!) take home a bunch of medals, mainly gold, every winter olympic.

Summer olympics really hasn't caught on as this one has... Wonder why?? Although, didn't we win a gold medal in Atlanta in '96...

- Perhaps if you guys were born with cross country skis you'd be all over the winter olympics too :)

Kat Coble said...

Ice Skating is gay.

Which is why I love it, truly and utterly.

Where else can you find a sport with showtunes?

The SeaWitch said...

I'm with you Mel. I love the Winter Olympics more than the summer ones for the very reasons you mentioned above.

I also love to judge the figure skating competitions and I miss my sisters for that...arguing over whether or not artistic is as important as the technical performance. Or knocking off points for choice of music and costumes.

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :

how about the song :

SLIP SLIDIN AWAY...

THE NEARER YOUR DESTINATION

SLIP SLIDIN AWAY


" SIMON AND GARFUNKEL "


=== Z A R D O Z ===