Monday, February 13, 2006

Sweepage

My husband and I just got sucked in, or rather entranced, by the curling match between Sweden and Canada, two countries that are obviously dead serious about their curling.

Neither of us completely understand how the game is played, but according to the commentators there can even be an element of danger in some plays. I suppose if that huge shell of a rock thing is hurling through the air at 100mph it could be dangerous. There is lots of shouting while the thing is shooting down the ice, a lot of "NO!" and "Ahhh!" and what have you. The commentators are making a bit of fun of the Swedish and Canadian girls and their vocabulary.

I'm not sure we can handle all the danger involved in curling, so we'll watch Air Crash Investigation instead.

3 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

I've yet to see any curling this year, but I set the DVR to record some this morning so I'll have something to look forward to tonight. During the last Games we (the lunch crowd at UAH) got hooked. Of course that might be understandable since UAH (that's in Alabama) features a Division 1 hockey program as its big sport.

I don't, though, see the "danger" aspect. Well, one could slip and fall -- even worse if one were to slip and fall in front of one of those stones. Okay, I guess it COULD be dangerous.

christina said...

I have to admit that I know *nothing* about curling although I used to watch it on TV all the time as a kid. Never understood the rules or the why? of it, but I thought it was cool that they wore one slippy shoe and one sticky one. :-)

I supposed getting your hand caught between two of those rocks could cause quite a bit of damage, but lets hope we won't be seeing any of that at the Olympics.

melusina said...

St. Caffeine, exactly how is curling like hockey?? =p

Christina, I always make fun of curling but I always end up watching it if it is on. It has some sort of magical pull, I think. I went to the wikipedia page on curling and couldn't get through it, so I'll stick to not knowing how it is done.

Sheenav, it is too bad you haven't gotten to see any curling. We get a schedule here so we know what is on and when, although we wouldn't have caught the curling if my husband hadn't been off work. Here in Greece I miss baseball. They even show the Superbowl here, but they NEVER show any baseball. And our satellite provider has SIX sports stations!

As to the danger remark of the commentators, either he had to be joking or he said it because they pushed the stone *really* fast, the two sweepers had a hard time keeping up with it and it kinda went out of control a bit. Very entertaining.