Wednesday, December 28, 2005

2005: the year in music

Well, there were a lot of good releases in 2005. I won't spend a lot of time going over them, as there are probably a lot of good albums I was not aware of, so no doubt I have missed some that might have been of great interest to me.

Chances are, if we were listening to music this year, it was one of the following:

Coldplay - X&Y
They keep knockin' 'em outta the ballpark. Another great album, beautiful melodies, sonorous harmonies. I don't like their egos, but I sure dig the music.

Tracy Chapman - Where You Live
This one was highly anticipated. Honestly, on the first listen we didn't take much of a shine to it. But it sure did grow on us. She continues to be a wonderful lyricist.

Chemical Brothers - Push the Button
Well, I've never been what you might call a Chemical Brothers fan, although it seems I've always taken a shine to a song or two. This album, though, is a real keeper. From the Middle Eastern twang of Galvanize to the techno Believe, this album emits a variety of sounds and feelings.

Kate Bush - Aerial
What a surprise! I had no idea she had a new album coming out, until it was out. And what classic Kate it is. She is channelling spirits from the Hounds of Love days.

Moby - Hotel
I'm not proud of my enjoyment of Moby's music, but I can't help it. Although with this album, it is the first CD that is the good one, the second CD I can live without. It has the right amount of pep to make it good driving music, and the right amount of soothing rhythms to keep you calm while driving. You can't beat that.

Jamiroquoi - Dynamite
Well, I used to hate (and regularly make fun of my husband for liking it) Jamiroquoi, but this album got to me. It keeps ya movin'.

The Prodigy - Their Law: Singles 1990 - 2005
All I can say is it was about damn time.

Enya - Amarantine
Another surprise release. While the album is pretty much the same old Enya, it is still beautiful. And the new language she invented with her lyricist is pretty cool, if a bit geeky.

Sigur Ros - Takk
This one almost came in outside of my radar. I've enjoyed their music, but never thought about getting an album before. I caught the first single off this album and had to have it. It is a really wonderful album, very ambient, a little sad, but not overly melancholy. AND they are going to be playing at the Ryman in Nashville on February 14th. Now how come bands like this didn't come to Nashvegas when I was living there?!?

1 comment:

melusina said...

Cool Sappho, thanks. And if you ever have any recommendations, I'd like to hear them!

Scruffy, I can live without Paparizou. Yea, I supported her wholeheartedly for Eurovision but I don't really like her music. To her credit, she sings English lyrics better than most Greek singers.