Friday, December 23, 2005

Reason #2,567 why my husband and I shouldn't have kids (or be around any for long periods of time)

ME: Honey, looks like they got some great shots of the rings around Uranus. *snicker*

HUBBY: Hmmm. Mmmm? (still absorbed in his own web surfing)

ME: See, look. And it seems they found two new moons, bringing the total number of satellites in orbit around Uranus to 27. *snort* *giggle*

HUBBY: Oh, uh-huh. (still somewhat absorbed)

ME: Did you know that many moons of Uranus are named after Shakespearean characters. *laugh* *laugh*

HUBBY: *chuckle* *laugh* Really? You know you are being really mature.

ME: *giggle* Shut up. *laugh* Oh, oh, wait til *laugh* you *laugh* hear this one! *laughing.so.hard.can't.talk* No one thought this region of Uranus was very interesting. *uncontrollable laughter* *cough* *choke* *laugh*

HUBBY: *uncontrollable laughter* Are you ok?


Ok, for those of you who have a maturity level above the age of 5, or aren't familiar with the English spelling/sometimes pronunciation of the planet: growing up, I always heard the planet pronounced something that sounds like "your anus". This was a source of great enjoyment to kids and some adults. In the last several years, however, I have heard it pronounced more like "your an us". I am sure there are other prononciations out there.

As an additional proof of my total insipidness, I keep a straight face when someone talks about "duty" or "duties", yet I can remain perfectly calm if someone is talking about actual doody. Oh, who am I kidding. It's all a hoot.


DISCLAIMER:
This is in no way insinuating that I am not a major proponent of astronomy, or that I find that particular field of science amusing. I am actually quite fond of it, after all, I used to want to be Carl Sagan.

6 comments:

Nashville Knucklehead said...

Carl Sagan Trivia - - He was a big-time pothead. I wanted to be him even more after I learned that.

The SeaWitch said...

This post is just further evidence to me that you SHOULD have kids Mel. Think about it. You will be able to relate to your kids much better than 'serious' people. Kids love nothing more than the affirmation of a parent when they take pride in their noises their body can produce and do everything possible to swear and get away with it. Their parents will laugh right along with them. Even if Thanos doesn't find "uranus" jokes all that funny, your kids always will. LOL

PS: My word was and still is "hemmorhoids". I die laughing every time someone mentions that word.

christina said...

My kids would have LOVED that conversation!

Ever heard that joke - "What do toilet paper and the Star Ship Enterprise have in common?"

Merry Christmas to ya!

melusina said...

Scruffy, no nagging by the in-laws for kids yet. They aren't really like that, anyway, but my husband's brother, who got married a little over a year ago, can have all the baby pressure. =p

Not only was Sagan a pothead, he was a major advocate for legalization. I still can't believe he is dead.

SeaWitch, Thanos finds it funny too, that is part of the problem. We are sooooo immature. Any day now we are really going to embarrass someone. And I have this feeling if we had kids, they'd be prudes.

christina, I haven't heard that joke!!

christina said...

Well, it's better spoken than written because it's a play on words, but the punchline is: they both circle Uranus looking for Klingons!

melusina said...

Lol, thats pretty funny Christina!